Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Is there a fuse on a Samsung SV4000?

The power has completely gone off and it is still plugged in. I cant
see any fuse on the back but does anyone know if there is one on the
power supply inside please?

I found a page where they SAY they have a service manual to down load
at http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download..._SV-4000W.html
but where it says NOW DOWNLOADING, nothing seems to download.

I can search on their Samsung page at http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipmen...Samsung_4.html
but there doesnt seem to be an appropriate one there? Does anyone here
know how to navigate their site?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sorry, let me re-phrase that: DOWNLOADING NOW means you have to click
on some virtually hidden link two thirds down on the page to download

Doing that downloads something called a .djvu file. which requires
installing Nuance Software .pdf reader.

When you do that, it just tells you that it cant open the mysterious
286kb sv4000w.djvu file you have just downloaded!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 31 May 2011 10:16:29 -0700 (PDT), myfathersson
wrote:

Sorry, let me re-phrase that: DOWNLOADING NOW means you have to click
on some virtually hidden link two thirds down on the page to download

Doing that downloads something called a .djvu file. which requires
installing Nuance Software .pdf reader.

When you do that, it just tells you that it cant open the mysterious
286kb sv4000w.djvu file you have just downloaded!

That's why intelligent people avoid places like eserviceinfo and the
dozens of sites that give bogus hits on Google.

Instead, go to Elektrotanya. The site is in Poland, the menus are in
both Polish and English. The site sometimes is flaky; as a registered
user (registration is free) I have not had problems downloading when
using a decent browser (FoxFire). For those who are offended by
Polish menues, registration, or Foxfire, I can only say C'est la vie!

http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresul...oria=&kat2=all

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

myfathersson wrote:

Sorry, let me re-phrase that: DOWNLOADING NOW means you have to click
on some virtually hidden link two thirds down on the page to download

Doing that downloads something called a .djvu file. which requires
installing Nuance Software .pdf reader.

When you do that, it just tells you that it cant open the mysterious
286kb sv4000w.djvu file you have just downloaded!

That's because it's not a .PDF file. You need a DJVU viewer:

http://windjview.sourceforge.net/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Sorry, let me re-phrase that: DOWNLOADING NOW means you have to click
on some virtually hidden link two thirds down on the page to download

Doing that downloads something called a .djvu file. which requires
installing Nuance Software .pdf reader.

When you do that, it just tells you that it cant open the mysterious
286kb sv4000w.djvu file you have just downloaded!

It opened fine with Irfanview - and is a 14 page schematic.
Page 8 shows a 2A fuse.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It opened fine with Irfanview - and is a 14 page schematic.
Page 8 shows a 2A fuse.

When I installed irfanview to read this file as a stand-alone app in
XP, it starts as a DOS box in the screen(??), and OPEN shows the file.
But when I tried to open it, all I got was some arcane error message
telling me that it cant install plug in from home page!

Could you possibly give me some sort of clue as to where on the
various boards I might find this fuse and what it might look like if
it doesn't look like an ordinary fuse please? Is it some sort of
soldered part on a circuit board which simply needs resoldering when
it blows? Or is it an ordinary fuse but underneath something and non-
visible? (I have already taken the unit apart and taken the power
board off and taken it apart and cant see any fuse)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:03:34 -0700 (PDT), myfathersson
wrote:

Could you possibly give me some sort of clue as to where on the
various boards I might find this fuse and what it might look like if
it doesn't look like an ordinary fuse please? Is it some sort of
soldered part on a circuit board which simply needs resoldering when
it blows? Or is it an ordinary fuse but underneath something and non-
visible? (I have already taken the unit apart and taken the power
board off and taken it apart and cant see any fuse)

There are no pcb pictures but the schematic shows that the fuse is the
very first component in the line from the mains input connector.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Could you possibly give me some sort of clue as to where on the
various boards I might find this fuse and what it might look like if
it doesn't look like an ordinary fuse please? Is it some sort of
soldered part on a circuit board which simply needs resoldering when
it blows? Or is it an ordinary fuse but underneath something and non-
visible? (I have already taken the *unit apart and taken the power
board off and taken it apart and cant see any fuse)

There are no pcb pictures but the schematic shows that the fuse is the
very first component in the line from the mains input connector.

Thanks for that, - that was what I thought from p8 but I am not really
qualified to read those diagrams so I wanted to be sure

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Could you possibly give me some sort of clue as to where on the
various boards I might find this fuse and what it might look like if
it doesn't look like an ordinary fuse please? Is it some sort of
soldered part on a circuit board which simply needs resoldering when
it blows? Or is it an ordinary fuse but underneath something and non-
visible? (I have already taken the *unit apart and taken the power
board off and taken it apart and cant see any fuse)

There are no pcb pictures but the schematic shows that the fuse is the
very first component in the line from the mains input connector.

Thank you for that, it was hidden under a curious flexible opaque
plastic cover: Not sure why but I recognised it as soon as you pointed
it out to me.

With a whole lot of unscientific playing around with it (the actual
fuse itself seems OK and I by-passed it with no particular benefit), I
have managed to get the power supply to squeal slightly when turned on
and sometimes the power button with the red LED in it flashes a bit
when turned on or if actually being pressed while the plug is being
plugged in. For a microsecond. Is this symptomatic of a faulty power
supply or of some fault elsewhere which shows up when everything draws
on the power supply? To me, when the light flashes and goes off
almost immediately, it seems that one of the coils within the PS
itself is not giving out enough power to even turn the unit on but
that is my layman's view? After all, it is turned off when the plug
is put in and all that can be drawing on it surely is the LED clock?
(There is of course absolutely no hint of a flash from any part of the
display when the LED on the power button flashes)

If it is the power supply, then replacement is very simple indeed. Not
sure about sourcing it?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 21/07/2011 21:43, Amanda Ripanykhazov wrote:
On Jun 11, 4:28 am, wrote:

With a whole lot of unscientific playing around with it (the actual
fuse itself seems OK and I by-passed it with no particular benefit)

1. Put the item away,
2. Flip Burgers for a week,
3. Buy a new one ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 11, 4:28 am, *wrote:

With a whole lot of unscientific playing around with it (the actual
fuse itself seems OK and I by-passed it with no particular benefit)

1. Put the item away,
2. Flip Burgers for a week,
3. Buy a new one ...

--
Adrian C

The ps is only $34. i only need it to transfer a dozen vhs tapes. it
doesnt seem worthwhile buying a whole new multi-system VHS unit IF the
PS will cure this particular problem?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 22, 2:59*am, Adrian C wrote:

1. Put the item away,
2. Flip Burgers for a week,
3. Buy a new one ...

--
Adrian C

OK Adrian, you were right in principal, I was naive

Samsung list it but don't sell it. I would imagine they sold off their
stocks of these VCR parts years ago

I wonder to whom?