Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Chemical vs standard glass fuses

I have an Audiovox flat panel in the shop for repair. There is an
open 7,0 amp chemical fuse on the power supply board which I am told
may be the extent of the problem on this model. Of course it could
also be the tip of the iceberg for sure. I won't know until I replace
it. The problem is I have no chemical fuses, only glass. Can it do any
harm to replace the 7.0 amp chemical fuse with a 7.0 amp AGC type?
Thanks, Lenny.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"klem kedidelhopper"

I have an Audiovox flat panel in the shop for repair. There is an
open 7,0 amp chemical fuse

** You mean a Polyswitch - right ?

( Polyswitch = a self re-setting, polymer based PTC device )

The term "chemical fuse" is a real stinker and vary rarely used by anyone.

Can it do any
harm to replace the 7.0 amp chemical fuse with a 7.0 amp AGC type?

** Not likely.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 9, 10:03*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"klem kedidelhopper"

I have an Audiovox *flat panel in the shop for repair. There is an
open *7,0 amp chemical fuse

** You mean a Polyswitch *- *right ?

( Polyswitch *= a self re-setting, polymer based PTC device )

The term "chemical fuse" *is a real stinker and vary rarely used by anyone.

Can it do any
harm to replace the 7.0 amp chemical fuse with a 7.0 amp AGC type?

** Not likely.

.... *Phil

I was under the impression that a polyswitch was a self resettable
device, sort of like a circuit breaker.Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"klem kedidelhopper"
"Phil Allison"
"klem kedidelhopper"

I have an Audiovox flat panel in the shop for repair. There is an
open 7,0 amp chemical fuse

** You mean a Polyswitch - right ?

( Polyswitch = a self re-setting, polymer based PTC device )

The term "chemical fuse" is a real stinker and vary rarely used by anyone.

Can it do any
harm to replace the 7.0 amp chemical fuse with a 7.0 amp AGC type?

** Not likely.

.... Phil

I was under the impression that a polyswitch was a self resettable
device, sort of like a circuit breaker.

** Did you bother to read what I wrote above ?

Are you asking about a Polyswitch or not ??

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

I have an Audiovox flat panel in the shop for repair. There is an
open 7,0 amp chemical fuse on the power supply board which I am told
may be the extent of the problem on this model. Of course it could
also be the tip of the iceberg for sure. I won't know until I replace
it. The problem is I have no chemical fuses, only glass. Can it do any
harm to replace the 7.0 amp chemical fuse with a 7.0 amp AGC type?

Chemical fuses like the 'Belfuse' series are coated with a chemical
that burns when the fuse wire reaches a set temperature. They are very
fast blow and a special class of fuse. I wouldn't recommend using a
standard fuse, since you can cause major damage in the equipment before
it blows.

What type of power supply are you working with in that unit? If it's
a linear supply, can you substitute a variable voltage, and current
limited power supply for testing?

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 9, 10:33*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
klem kedidelhopper wrote:

[...]

Its a SMPS with several different outputs. There is a feed back
circuit I believe that would make it risky to try to sub in a supply.
Thank you Michael for the information you provided. Sorry Phil that I
blew right past your response however I guess I'd have to wonder if
YOU read what I wrote. I thought that I was clearly asking about a
Chemical or "pico" type fuse, not a polyswitch. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"klem kedidelhopper"

Sorry Phil that I
blew right past your response however I guess I'd have to wonder if
YOU read what I wrote. I thought that I was clearly asking about a
Chemical or "pico" type fuse, not a polyswitch.

** Where did you get the name " chemical fuse " from ?

Did you invent it ?

A "Pico" fuse is simply a wire fuse in a package like a resistor.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

[...]

You can certainly use a more standard fuse for a quick check.

Mark Z.