Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Compact disc doesn't spin

On a Sharp Mini Component System (model CD-C420), the compact disc
turns very slowly or moves only about 1" and then stops.

How can I check to see if something is slipping? Is there a belt?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GARY wrote:
On a Sharp Mini Component System (model CD-C420), the compact disc
turns very slowly or moves only about 1" and then stops.

How can I check to see if something is slipping? Is there a belt?

I would doubt there is any belt. More likely the spindle motor's
lubrication has dried up too much.

In some cases these motors can be taken apart and relubed, but this is
not a job for the squeamish! Too many things can go wrong...

I'd attempt it on my own gear, and have been successful, but I fix
things all day long, so have lots of practice in taking things apart in
such a way that they are likely to work when I put them back together.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GARY wrote:
On a Sharp Mini Component System (model CD-C420), the compact disc
turns very slowly or moves only about 1" and then stops.

How can I check to see if something is slipping? Is there a belt?

That is because you did not finalize the CD-R. Put the CD-R back in the
computer and use Windows to finalize the disk.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GARY wrote:

On a Sharp Mini Component System (model CD-C420), the compact disc
turns very slowly or moves only about 1" and then stops.

How can I check to see if something is slipping? Is there a belt?

Maybe the disc is not recognized because the lens is dirty or the laser too
weak.

Does this happen with real CDs or only with CD-R? The latter is reflecting
less light and thus causes more problems.

Stefan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

They are real CDs (which contain music, audio-books, etc); they are
not recordable CDs (CD-Rs).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 20:29:27 -0800, GARY wrote:

On a Sharp Mini Component System (model CD-C420), the compact disc turns
very slowly or moves only about 1" and then stops.

How can I check to see if something is slipping? Is there a belt?

No belt, direct drive. Any error code on the display like LO1 RO1 ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No error-code.

After the 3 discs are cycled over the lens, the display says "No
Disc".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

After the 3 discs are cycled over the lens,
the display says "No Disc".

Logic suggests that the player is not "seeing" the disks. You might have
problems with the laser other than it being dirty.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:36:44 -0800, GARY wrote:

No error-code.

After the 3 discs are cycled over the lens, the display says "No Disc".

You've got problems in the logic portion. If it were a laser problem the
disc would rotate and the sled would slide the laser block in and out
looking for a disc ID. A logic failure might mean a total failure of
this initialization procedure. There may be a small switch or optical
sensor telling the logic control that there are discs loaded. I think I
would start there given the symptoms.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 8, 2:54*am, Christen Alex wrote:
GARY wrote:
On a Sharp Mini Component System (model CD-C420), the compact disc
turns very slowly or moves only about 1" and then stops.

How can I check to see if something is slipping? *Is there a belt?

That is because you did not finalize the CD-R. Put the CD-R back in the
computer and use Windows to finalize the disk.

If you read the previous post, you'll see it is NOT a computer and the
discs are NOT CD-Rs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

To Christian Alex:

If you read the previous posts, you'll see it is NOT a computer and
the
discs are NOT CD-Rs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:36:44 -0800, GARY wrote:

No error-code.

After the 3 discs are cycled over the lens, the display says "No Disc".

You've got problems in the logic portion. If it were a laser problem the
disc would rotate and the sled would slide the laser block in and out
looking for a disc ID.

Often not the case, Meat. Many players will not start to spin the disc up or
move the laser down its slides, unless focus lock is obtained, The movement
of about an inch is often an attempt to move the disc to a different spot to
retry the initial focusing operation, in case the original spot on the disc
was dirty or damaged. This small movement of the disc may be carried out
just the once, or several times before it gives up and declares there to be
no disc ...

Just as a matter of interest, why has the OP started a new thread, instead
of continuing with his original, also called "Compact disc doesn't spin"
started two days ago ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
[...]

Beg ya pardon. Actually called "Disc tray won't open"

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The original problem was the disc tray wouldn't open.

After that posting, I removed the top of the unit and discovered that
4 discs had been inserted (instead of only 3). By removing the extra
disc, the disc tray then would open..

Since the original problem had been solved, I started a new thread
describing the new problem: the compact disc wouldn't spin.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"GARY" wrote in message
The original problem was the disc tray wouldn't open.

After that posting, I removed the top of the unit and discovered that
4 discs had been inserted (instead of only 3). By removing the extra
disc, the disc tray then would open..

Since the original problem had been solved, I started a new thread
describing the new problem: the compact disc wouldn't spin.

Okey dokey. But as you already said this in the original thread, that's
where I posted my original reply regarding this 'new' problem. Did you see
that ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GARY wrote:

After that posting, I removed the top of the unit and discovered that
4 discs had been inserted (instead of only 3). By removing the extra
disc, the disc tray then would open..

Maybe the additional disc that was jammed bent, scratched or broke off part
of the optical system? The lens should be able to slightly move in all
directions. When started, the player usually first tries to adjust the focus
by moving the lens up and down. Does it do that?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 9, 2:51*am, Stefan Heimers wrote:
GARY wrote:
After that posting, I removed the top of the unit and discovered that
4 discs had been inserted (instead of only 3). *By removing the extra
disc, the disc tray then would open..

Maybe the additional disc that was jammed bent, scratched or broke off part
of the optical system? The lens should be able to slightly move in all
directions. When started, the player usually first tries to adjust the focus
by moving the lens up and down. Does it do that?

Yes, the lens move up and down.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GARY wrote:
After that posting, I removed the top of the unit and discovered that
4 discs had been inserted (instead of only 3). *By removing the extra
disc, the disc tray then would open..

Maybe the additional disc that was jammed bent, scratched or broke off part
of the optical system? The lens should be able to slightly move in all
directions. When started, the player usually first tries to adjust the focus
by moving the lens up and down. Does it do that?

Yes, the lens moves up and down.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 01:36:57 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
[...]

I must be thinking of a DVD. Looking at this portable player with a
window to see the disk as soon as the lid is closed the disc rotates
and then the sled moves in and out. Been too long since I've worked on a
CD player to remember if they do the same I guess.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 01:36:57 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
[...]

No, no. You're quite right. Some players do just go ahead and spin the disc
up regardless, but by far the most common scheme is to first home the laser,
which is usually just a little shuffle if it's already home, then to obtain
focus, and when that is achieved, spin up the disc and get the tracking
servo locked before finally starting to read data to extract the timing for
the spindle servo. Once all of that is acomplished, the TOC is read in.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 02:09:10 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

news

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 10:36:44 -0800, GARY wrote:

[...]

Got it. I always assumed the laser needed a spin to focus. Working on
those things back in the 80's when they first hit the market and the vast
majority were warranty items it was more time effective to just shotgun
the entire mechanism than to spend more than 10 minutes troubleshooting.
I made the most money per piece with a horribly low minimum wage salary.
And the facility was well stocked with factory replacements. So it was
check a mental flow chart, if it was a tweak or a mechanical problem that
could be buttoned up in 15 minutes then it actually got some repair.
Otherwise it was pulled and replaced. So even though countless boxed units
from several retail chains made it to my work area, I didn't have the
time to get real intimate with the workings. By the 90's I switch from
consumer to pro audio repair for a friend who did Yamaha warranty. Better
pay and I got to spend more time with power amps, synths, etc...

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

On Mar 8, 5:29*am, GARY wrote:
On a Sharp Mini Component System (model CD-C420), the compact disc
turns very slowly or moves only about 1" and then stops.

How can I check to see if something is slipping? *Is there a belt?

first things first. get a q tip and moisten it with some isopropyl
alcohol or tape head cleaner. gently clean the lens and try again.
if no joy, then you may need to replace the ribbon cable or optical
block. some units come with the whole motor/sled/block and pcb as one,
others not.
In some cases, a bad spindle motor can give what you describe. common
in cheap dvd players. If the psu strains as the dic tries to spin,
then more so!

-B

Old Sony Compact Disc Player skips a lot Angelo Campanella Electronics Repair 8 December 4th 10 05:34 PM
FIX: Toyota / Fujtsu Ten Limited CD player - Model SD-1619TM1 PN? 08601-00804 / Toyota compact Disc deck 34203 Robin Taylor Electronics Repair 4 August 7th 08 12:29 PM
playstation 2 DRE disc won't spin sirmopalot Electronics Repair 0 June 28th 07 12:54 PM
Problem with Compact Disc Recorder Slartibartfast Electronics Repair 5 August 13th 05 08:29 AM
DVD Player Doesn't Spin Up Disc John Electronics Repair 5 August 12th 04 02:15 AM