Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 30 GB Video IPod redux

Ok the display is backlit with 4 LEDs at the bottom. Behind the LCD
there is a light diffuser/spreader whatever you want to call it. It's a
static component just there to spread the light from the light source
evenly behind the LCD. Obviously this was damaged somehow, probably
dropped although the former owner would not admit it and the IPod has no
apparent damage to the case. Behind the light "spreader" there is a
reflective piece of something. It's not totally opaque because I can
shine a strong light through it and see the damage on the LCD side with
the display unplugged. So this is a simple matter of replacing the
display This particular model has five latches on each side, two on the
bottom and one on the top.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
Ok the display is backlit with 4 LEDs at the bottom. Behind the LCD
there is a light diffuser/spreader whatever you want to call it. It's a
static component just there to spread the light from the light source
evenly behind the LCD. Obviously this was damaged somehow, probably
dropped although the former owner would not admit it and the IPod has no
apparent damage to the case. Behind the light "spreader" there is a
reflective piece of something. It's not totally opaque because I can
shine a strong light through it and see the damage on the LCD side with
the display unplugged. So this is a simple matter of replacing the
display This particular model has five latches on each side, two on the
bottom and one on the top.

Presumably, it came apart without issue ? What did you use in the end, as
your 'entry tool' ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 02:23:03 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
[...]

Small blade of my Victorinox Swiss army knife. Only issue were the five
latches per side, one on top and two on the bottom contrary to the video
of the Japanese lady dispatching the case in short order with three per
side and two on the top and bottom. The important thing is to recognize
the latches protrude from the metal case into the chassis. I figured that
was the correct assumption right off the bat because the case could not
harbor a dimple for a latch. The backside is actually two pieces. The
internal has the latches to fit the chassis dimples. I guess this is so
the outside piece would not be cosmetically influence by adding latches
to it.

Now, where to get a new display? There is 1WU5K2077258 on the back of
the display. Does this mean anything to you? That's all I really need.
The 3.5mm jack and battery are fine. Come to think of it I might want to
replace the front panel because there are some scuffs and scratches over
the display and if I've gone this far that might as well be replaced
since the entire unit was a gift I'm not out any money.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 02:23:03 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
[...]

Not sure where you might get parts in the U.S. I don't know if that company
I pointed you at here in the UK would ship to the U.S. Might be worth
flashing them a mail to ask. I think I found them originally just Googling
"iPod spare parts". You should be able to at least find the part you need on
their site, which might allow you to cross reference it.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 02:33:49 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 02:23:03 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news Ok the display is backlit with 4 LEDs at the bottom. Behind the LCD
[...]

What was the URL again?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 02:33:49 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

news

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

I've used

www.appleipodparts.com who claim to ship worldwide next day

and

parts4ipods.com

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:16:28 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

news

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 02:23:03 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

From their replacement ad "cures the ink spots/streaks problem" on this
particular screen, it seems to be a common problem. I'll have to look
around the US for a dealer.