Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tandberg 3001 tuner - broken gear

Hello all,

I've got a Tandberg 3001 here where the small plastic gear that drives
the tuning pot (opposite end of the shaft from the tuning drum that the
dial cord wraps around) has cracked. If Tandberg were still around, I'd
just order the assembly. In this case I either have to have the part
machined or find a 'basket case' to pull the part from.

The service manual that I have does not include the parts list, so I
can't tell you the Tandberg part number. I'd guess that the 3011 tuner
uses the same part.

Anyone have a parts unit?

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 14, 1:14*pm, Tim Schwartz wrote:
Hello all,

* * * * I've got a Tandberg 3001 here where the small plastic gear that drives
the tuning pot (opposite end of the shaft from the tuning drum that the
dial cord wraps around) has cracked. *If Tandberg were still around, I'd
just order the assembly. *In this case I either have to have the part
machined or find a 'basket case' to pull the part from.

* * * * The service manual that I have does not include the parts list, so I
can't tell you the Tandberg part number. *I'd guess that the 3011 tuner
uses the same part.

* * * * Anyone have a parts unit?

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Not a lot of point in finding a 'donor' set since the gear in that one
is likely broken or will break sooner or later. Nylon gears pressed
onto plain shafts are very prone to snapping at one of the roots
simply beacuse there is a constant tension in the plastic, flow
boundries and stress risers due to the gear shape.
I have had good luck finding brass gears that are 'close enough' for
these sorts of applications from other junked mechanisms that have
gear boxes in them. Anything from VCRs, copiers, printers [especally
laser ones], paper shredders and so on are a rich source of gears and
bearings.

Neil S.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim Schwartz wrote:

I've got a Tandberg 3001 here where the small plastic gear that drives
the tuning pot (opposite end of the shaft from the tuning drum that the
dial cord wraps around) has cracked.

Plastic gears can be repaired by melting new nylon or derlin into them
with a soldering iron, even missing teeth, and cracks around the hub
can be prevented from reappearing by pressing a ring of metal around
them.