Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer runs faster because it is soldered.. haha..

I was reading some flame war and read this.. I am sharing it because I was
qutie entertained.

********************
"So apple computers are hardwired meaning that because everything is
directly connected with solder it is going to run faster. this usually makes
a computer more expensive."

snipped not so funny garblie gook

"Source(s):
computer science major"
*********************

And no I dont want to start a windows vs mac debate.. They both have their
places.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 03:13:35 +0900, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

I was reading some flame war and read this.. I am sharing it because I was
qutie entertained.

********************
"So apple computers are hardwired meaning that because everything is
directly connected with solder it is going to run faster. this usually makes
a computer more expensive."

snipped not so funny garblie gook

"Source(s):
computer science major"
*********************

Cute. It's also wrong in another way. If you cut a board in half you
double the cost to manufacture. That includes everything involved in
building the board such as procurement, inventory control, handling,
packaging, mounting, interconnect, inspection, etc. This is why
single board computers are more popular than plug-in conglomerations.

The choice solder also makes a minor difference. RoHS Sn/Ag/Cu/Sb
solder has a resistivity of 1.21E^-7 ohm.m while Sn/Pb eutectic solder
has a resistivity of 1.45E^-7 ohm.m. While a 17% change in
conductivity may not seem like much, it makes a hell of difference
dealing with ground bounce problems when the 1.4V i7 CPU might draw 65
amps on peaks. Most of the traces are copper, so that had to be
beefed up, but the typically crappy soldering also needed thickening.

And no I dont want to start a windows vs mac debate.. They both have their
places.

Aw, you're no fun... I might as well throw in some flame bait.

In Dec 2009, I threw together a spreadsheet comparing as near
identical offerings from Apple and Dell. See:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/Mac-vs-PC.xls
Except for the 13" MacBook, the price of the Apple products is about
twice that of the Dell offerings. Obviously, things have changed
since 2009, but since it took me all day to throw that together, I'll
wait until I catch a cold or have some time to bring the spreadsheet
up to date.

Since this is a repair newsgroup, I might mention that many Apple
products are impossible to repair. Tearing apart the latest mice and
aluminum keyboards will guarantee its destruction. Disassembly of
many computers are also difficult and require much prying and
swearing. I now carry a putty knife for the Mac Mini, and a roll of
mylar tape to reassemble the iBook. The ancient Mac Cube is full of
proprietary and nearly unobtainable screws. Opening an iPod, iPhone
or iPad is rather tricky, until the tricks are learned. Basically,
Apple products are designed to be non-repairable.

Gone to find out what stinks in the shop. Probably a dead mouse.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/12/2011 3:01 PM Jeff Liebermann spake thus:

Gone to find out what stinks in the shop. Probably a dead mouse.

Maybe it's one of those unrepairable Mac mice, moldering in the corner
underneath your bench ...

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Joe Joe is offline

In article m,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/12/2011 3:01 PM Jeff Liebermann spake thus:

Gone to find out what stinks in the shop. Probably a dead mouse.

Maybe it's one of those unrepairable Mac mice, moldering in the corner
underneath your bench ...

Youse guys are doing irreparable harm to this group's reputation for
linguistic punctiliousness.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:45:49 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 2/12/2011 3:01 PM Jeff Liebermann spake thus:

Gone to find out what stinks in the shop. Probably a dead mouse.

Maybe it's one of those unrepairable Mac mice, moldering in the corner
underneath your bench ...

Nope. The only mice around here are PC mice. See trophy collection
hanging on the closet door in the background. Unlike Apple mice, PC
mice don't stink.
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/panorama/jeffl.htm
(Wait for the photo to load. Move mouse around photo).

It's definitely a dead mouse (Mus musculus). I think I found the
general area, but haven't found the dead mouse yet. Dinner tastes
like dead mouse. Retch.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Gone to find out what stinks in the shop. Probably a dead mouse.

Time to switch to a trackball? ;-)

Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't know about Apple computers, because I don't work on them, but I have
to say that I find iPods very easy to get into, and all of the major parts
are available from multiple sources at what I think are remarkably sensible
prices. Just last week, I bought a replacement LCD assembly for a Classic,
and it was £10.20 (say $15) including tax and delivery. I got it from my
usual supplier here in the UK, and it looked as though it was a
factory-original part.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't know about Apple computers, because I don't work
on them, but I have to say that I find iPods very easy to get
into, and all of the major parts are available from multiple
sources at what I think are remarkably sensible prices. Just
last week, I bought a replacement LCD assembly for a Classic,
and it was £10.20 (say $15) including tax and delivery. I got it
from my usual supplier here in the UK, and it looked as though
it was a factory-original part.

Your good fortune might simply be that there are so many iPods around that
3rd parties find it profitable to manufacture replacements. The fact that
you /did not/ purchase an Apple part -- for whatever reason -- doesn't say
much good about Apple.

I might also dump on Palm. After seven years, I had to replace the
lithium-ion battery in my Tungsten T3. Palm has illegally abandoned this and
other PDAs, so I had to go elsewhere. Prices were all over the place, as
high as $30. (You used to be able to get the battery and its installation
for $50 to $60, but no one seems to be doing it any more.)

I settled on an HQRP ("high-quality, reasonable price") battery for less
than $7, shipping included. It was surprisingly easy to replace (I expected
tsuris), and appears to be better (or at least have higher capacity) than
the original. Time will tell.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 16:20:16 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

I don't know about Apple computers, because I don't work on them, but I have
to say that I find iPods very easy to get into, and all of the major parts
are available from multiple sources at what I think are remarkably sensible
prices.

In order to get into a iPhone 3G, you remove 2 small screws, place a
suction cup on the glass front, and pull. The battery is soldered in
place. Furthur disassembly involves removing glued components
(including the battery). It's not impossible, but it's certainly not
easy. The previous iPhone 2G required using a plastic "spudger" to
pry the off the front.

Various teardown instructions:
http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/iPhone
http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/iPod
However, for real entertainment value, try replacing a broken power
connector on an old iBook G3. I have one of these and was not
thrilled with the approx 50 step procedure.
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iBook_G3_12%22
We can debate whether such inconvenient disassembly is justified by
the allegedly improved cosmetics. My position is that it's not, as
demonstrated by other cell phones and PC laptops, most of which have
user accessible batteries.

Just last week, I bought a replacement LCD assembly for a Classic,
and it was £10.20 (say $15) including tax and delivery. I got it from my
usual supplier here in the UK, and it looked as though it was a
factory-original part.

Good price. It probably came directly from China from the same
factory that supplies the displays to Apple. I get quite a few parts
that way through Hong Kong. However, there are some parts which are
simply unobtainable new and/or at reasonable prices. Cosmetic parts,
custom chips, and wear parts (i.e. power jacks, controls, keyboards,
touchpads, hinges, rubber feet, etc) tend to be difficult to find.
Most of these I buy from eBay vendors that cannibalize machines and
sell the parts. Without used parts, many of the repairs that I'm
doing would be either uneconomical or impossible. I could not build
the business on purchasing new parts from the original manufacturer.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

However, there are some parts which are simply
unobtainable new and/or at reasonable prices.

The American law used to be "three years" for cosmetic and trim parts. I
used to buy trim parts for my favorite electronic "toys" to make sure I had
them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

The company I use is

http://www.parts4ipods.com

Not much use to you as a leftpondian, but as you can see, they do a lot of
Apple parts, including some cosmetics and touch screens.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 01:44:27 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Hey how do I get my 30 GB Video Ipod apart? It has a .5mm streak going
from right to left in the middle of the screen but stops just short of
the left side. But it is in the backlighting because the streak does not
appear in bright light. So it doesn't seem to be the LCD just the
lighting. Does this sound right? I don't want to mess with trying to pry
it apart and bend it all up but I would like to see if there is something
that can be done first without buying a replacement panel.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I was reading some flame war and read this.. I am sharing it because I was
qutie entertained.

********************
"So apple computers are hardwired meaning that because everything is
directly connected with solder it is going to run faster. this usually
makes a computer more expensive."

snipped not so funny garblie gook

"Source(s):
computer science major"
*********************

And no I dont want to start a windows vs mac debate.. They both have their
places.

Well I didnt say where their places were. The PC being on my desk.. The Mac
proping the door open.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I was reading some flame war and read this.. I am sharing it because I was
qutie entertained.

********************
"So apple computers are hardwired meaning that because everything is
directly connected with solder it is going to run faster. this usually makes
a computer more expensive."

snipped not so funny garblie gook

"Source(s):
computer science major"

And no I dont want to start a windows vs mac debate.. They both have their
places.

Hardly noticeable, but maybe what he means is that by designing more
inclusive circuit boards and thus reducing the need for cabling you do
gain some advantage.