Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer runs faster because it is soldered.. haha..

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 03:13:35 +0900, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

I was reading some flame war and read this.. I am sharing it because I was
qutie entertained.

********************
"So apple computers are hardwired meaning that because everything is
directly connected with solder it is going to run faster. this usually makes
a computer more expensive."

snipped not so funny garblie gook

"Source(s):
computer science major"
*********************

Cute. It's also wrong in another way. If you cut a board in half you
double the cost to manufacture. That includes everything involved in
building the board such as procurement, inventory control, handling,
packaging, mounting, interconnect, inspection, etc. This is why
single board computers are more popular than plug-in conglomerations.

The choice solder also makes a minor difference. RoHS Sn/Ag/Cu/Sb
solder has a resistivity of 1.21E^-7 ohm.m while Sn/Pb eutectic solder
has a resistivity of 1.45E^-7 ohm.m. While a 17% change in
conductivity may not seem like much, it makes a hell of difference
dealing with ground bounce problems when the 1.4V i7 CPU might draw 65
amps on peaks. Most of the traces are copper, so that had to be
beefed up, but the typically crappy soldering also needed thickening.

And no I dont want to start a windows vs mac debate.. They both have their
places.

Aw, you're no fun... I might as well throw in some flame bait.

In Dec 2009, I threw together a spreadsheet comparing as near
identical offerings from Apple and Dell. See:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/Mac-vs-PC.xls
Except for the 13" MacBook, the price of the Apple products is about
twice that of the Dell offerings. Obviously, things have changed
since 2009, but since it took me all day to throw that together, I'll
wait until I catch a cold or have some time to bring the spreadsheet
up to date.

Since this is a repair newsgroup, I might mention that many Apple
products are impossible to repair. Tearing apart the latest mice and
aluminum keyboards will guarantee its destruction. Disassembly of
many computers are also difficult and require much prying and
swearing. I now carry a putty knife for the Mac Mini, and a roll of
mylar tape to reassemble the iBook. The ancient Mac Cube is full of
proprietary and nearly unobtainable screws. Opening an iPod, iPhone
or iPad is rather tricky, until the tricks are learned. Basically,
Apple products are designed to be non-repairable.

Gone to find out what stinks in the shop. Probably a dead mouse.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D