Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Westinghouse TX-52F480S Intermittent Shut Down

A customer just brought this set in, complaining that it shuts down
intermittently... sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after a few
hours. My first thought is to check for bad caps in the power supply, but
while I'm doing that, I thought I'd see if anyone here has any experience
with these and could perhaps point out something I should look for.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The power supply looks OK.... no caps up in ESR, and I resoldered a lot of
connections which were marginal at best. The set however is still shutting
down at random. I called Westinghouse tech support and they said it was
either the power supply or the backlight inverter. The inverter was buried
deep within the set so I didn't bother to check it.... could it be the cause
of the trouble?
I really need some advice on this.... I can't go ordering expensive
modules at random, I have to know for sure what I need.