Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP Laserjet 1012

I acquired 3 of these units and they have gotten light use [less than 3,000
pages each]. 1 unit "squeaks" when feeding paper but I thought I'd be able
to swap parts if needed one day.
Recently, one unit started to consistently jam with the paper about 1/4 inch
into the fuser area.
Not feeding multiple pages so I think the separator pad is fine.
I say 1/4 inch because when the page is extracted, there is a slight crease
about 1/4 inch across the top.
Sometimes I can get 10 pages through OK, but after its warmed up, maybe only
1 or 2.
I changed the cartridge. No joy.
I thought I'd swap the fuser units but first I tried the "squeaky" printer.
Prints fine but exactly the same jam.
I have the service manual and can take these part easily. But the manual
isn't giving me a good clue as to the issue.
Could be a timing issue but there aren't many sensors and the manual says
sensors rarely fail.
Anyone with experience able to focus me on the cause of the jam?
Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:28:25 -1000, John Keiser wrote:
I acquired 3 of these units and they have gotten light use [less than 3,000
pages each]. 1 unit "squeaks" when feeding paper but I thought I'd be able
to swap parts if needed one day.
Recently, one unit started to consistently jam with the paper about 1/4 inch
into the fuser area.

Try also:

comp.sys.hp.hardware
comp.periphs.printers

Jonesy
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Keiser Inscribed thus:

[...]

On some machines the rubber on the drive roller detaches and migrates to
one end and then fouls the metalwork causing creases and jams.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Separator Pad[s]!

"John Keiser" wrote in message
news:foqdnW82tZF80IDQnZ2dnUVZ_rWdnZ2d@powerusenet. com...
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I acquired 3 of these units and they have gotten light use [less than 3,000
pages each]. 1 unit "squeaks" when feeding paper but I thought I'd be able
to swap parts if needed one day.

They all squeak when printing. Plastic against plastic will
eventually squeak. The toner is basically plastic and will imbed
itself into the nylon gears. Cleaning and grease helps, for a while.
You can find the source of the squeaks with a stethoscope or a vinyl
hose stuck in one ear and the other end for sniffing around the gears.

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com
Try asking in the forum area.

Recently, one unit started to consistently jam with the paper about 1/4 inch
into the fuser area.

The paper feed assumes that both feed rollers are feeding equally and
evenly. If one of them starts to slip, or is a slightly different
diameter, the paper will enter the laser area slightly sideways and
eventually jam. Clean or preferably replace feed rollers if feeding
even slightly sideways.

Not feeding multiple pages so I think the separator pad is fine.
I say 1/4 inch because when the page is extracted, there is a slight crease
about 1/4 inch across the top.
Sometimes I can get 10 pages through OK, but after its warmed up, maybe only
1 or 2.

That doesn't sound like the rollers. My next guess would be that
fuser film in the fuser roller assembly is shredded and catching the
edge of the page. This looks close:
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/59152

I changed the cartridge. No joy.
I thought I'd swap the fuser units but first I tried the "squeaky" printer.
Prints fine but exactly the same jam.

I can't tell from your description what you thought of doing or what
you actually did. If you swapped fuser assemblies, and the problem
stayed with the printer, then it's not the fuser. this is not an easy
project.

I have the service manual and can take these part easily.

The HP LaserJet 1012 is a PITA to take apart and repair. I don't
think it was made to be disassembled. I have two that are about to go
to the recyclers (dead PCB sensors or both).

But the manual
isn't giving me a good clue as to the issue.
Could be a timing issue but there aren't many sensors and the manual says
sensors rarely fail.

Sensors don't fail. Instead they get filled with toner, dirt, dust,
and in my case, drywall dust. Lots of ways to kill a printer.

Anyone with experience able to focus me on the cause of the jam?
Thanks.

It helps to have the plastic side panels removed so you can watch the
gears move. A broken tooth might cause the same problem.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Anything blue is meant to be replaced. The paper pickup rollers are
the first suspect. I don't know that printer, but the release
mechanism for most rollers is difficult if you havn't seen how to
release them. Usually that roller wears asymetricly causing the paper
to feed at a slight angle or the paper fails to pick-up.

SOMETIMES you can turn the paper upside down and the printer won't jam
because the curl of the paper is different, but it usually means it
won't last long.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 30 2010, 7:28*pm, "John Keiser"
wrote:
I acquired 3 of these units and they have gotten light use [less than 3,000
pages each]. *1 unit "squeaks" when feeding paper but I thought I'd be able
to swap parts if needed one day.
Recently, one unit started to consistently jam with the paper about 1/4 inch
into the fuser area.

The most likely squeak causes are inside the (replaceable) toner
cartridge; that squeak might follow the toner if you were to swap it
into another printer.

Paper jam usually responds to cleaning and reseating, but it COULD be
that a gear-driven roller has a stripped gear. Examine the paper path
carefully and look for jam-causing staples, beads, pencil stubs
and such, in the gearing area.