Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Self-Repair Manifesto

The issue of personal injury liability isn't addressed. Lots of DIY types
don't understand the safety aspects of line operated equipment.

Any time I get a used piece of equipment, I examine it for signs of
disassembly and repairs.
One sign of a not-so-bright DIY type, is large burrs on the phillips case
screws.

When manufacturers make service documentation available for line operated
equipment, they don't know that only trained professional service/repair
people will properly interpret the service info. They include disclaimers,
but that my not be a bullet-proof legal position.
Something as simple as placing a long screw where a short screw belongs, can
compromise the safety of a properly designed, line-isolated hot chassis.

Put simply, unsupervised, untrained DIY-types shouldn't be repairing
line-operated equipment.

Any experienced equipment servicer should know that it only takes very
little current to interrupt normal heart rhythm.

When someone buys a piece of equipment that has been repaired improperly,
it's a smear on the manufacturer's reputation.
If I were a manufacturer, I wouldn't want improperly repaired pieces of my
products available as used (unauthorized refurbished) equipment, injuring or
****ing off a lot of consumers.
An improperly repaired/modified charging circuit causes a battery to explode
and/or catch fire, for example.

I imagine that the best way to stop throw-away product manufacturing would
be to stop buying it.
I don't like that nearly all of the cheaply made products are ending up in
landfills, any more than anyone else.
Apparently many consumers don't realize that buying this cheap crap costs
them twice, the first time to go to the store and the purchase, then a
second time to dispose of it.
Careers in management of waste should be abundant for years into the future.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania actually accepts municipal (and probably
industrial) waste to be hauled into PA from as many as 15 other states
(maybe more, now).
Since PA is bordered by only 6 states, this would mean that states beyond
the bordering states are hauling waste long distances to dump waste into PA
landfills.. that's a lot of fuel, whether the waste is moved by truck (most
likey transportation) or railway.

According to statistics, Americans generated nearly 230 million tons of
municipal solid waste in 1999 (when many stores didn't sell practically all
made in China goods).
Of the 230M tons, it's stated that 28% was recycled, and 15% incinerated.

I wonder what the term "recycled" actually means in report statistics.
Maybe some of the plastic products were used in synthetic lumber products,
possibly.. or just sent to a recycler that may have just disposed of the
materials later.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/17/2010 12:28 AM, Wild_Bill wrote:
If I were a manufacturer, I wouldn't want improperly repaired pieces of
my products available as used (unauthorized refurbished) equipment,
injuring or ****ing off a lot of consumers.

Motorola tried that in Federal Court back in 2005.
Despite the law firm they hired, and the scape goat they tried
to crucify, they failed.

Had they won, imagine the ramifications. Nobody BUT the
manufacturer would be authorized to repair items and there
would be no third party parts or accessories for sale.

Imagine being hauled into Federal Court on a charge of counterfeiting
because you added different radio to your vehicle. Because it
is "no longer factory spec."

Frightening to say the least.

Jeff