Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Is this question too challenging for a BSEE graduate?

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:51:20 -0500, "David"
wrote:

Regarding the subject line: When I first read this question and
looked at the schematic, it was not clear to me what the
programmable load that was asked about actually was. If it was
the FET, that should have been stated. There were many responses
that treated the entire circuit as the 'programmable load' hence
the 'in parallel with 4K ohms' type of answers. Furthermore, if
we assume the question was about the FET being the load to
calculate, that resistance has a DC and AC component and they are
very different. A question like this is very poorly worded and
should in no way be a judge of the person attempting to answer
it.
David

I agree, the question is ambiguous, although given that one voltage
source is indeterminate, an argument could be made that the entire
network tied to that point was the load.

What I really find disturbing is the thought that it is necessary to
test a holder of a BSEE to determine if they learned any of the
basics. Is it also necessary to quiz them on nand and nor gates, J-K
flip-flops, and ripple counters? How about series and parallel
resistances?

PlainBill