Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DTV clock screwed up

Using a set-top DTV converter, analog TV. Works fine, except for about a
week now the clock appears to be an hour slow.

I say "the clock" as if it's part of the converter, but apparently the
box gets the time from the TV stations; I notice the time changes
slightly from channel to channel sometimes. But every channel shows the
clock an hour behind. All other info--program titles, etc.--seems to be
correct.

Any way to fix this? The only options that can be set through the
on-screen menu a

o Clock: Time zone is selectable (correctly set to Pacific)
Daylight saving option is set to "Auto"

Can't see anything else that can be tweaked here.

So does the STB get the time from the stations? Is there an internal
clock? If so, why can't I set it?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In message , David
Nebenzahl writes
Using a set-top DTV converter, analog TV. Works fine, except for about
a week now the clock appears to be an hour slow.

I say "the clock" as if it's part of the converter, but apparently the
box gets the time from the TV stations; I notice the time changes
slightly from channel to channel sometimes. But every channel shows the
clock an hour behind. All other info--program titles, etc.--seems to be
correct.

Any way to fix this? The only options that can be set through the
on-screen menu a

o Clock: Time zone is selectable (correctly set to Pacific)
Daylight saving option is set to "Auto"

Can't see anything else that can be tweaked here.

So does the STB get the time from the stations? Is there an internal
clock? If so, why can't I set it?

Have you tried 'lying' to it, and setting the time zone to 'Mountain'?
Or setting the daylight saving to 'manual'? See if this has any effect -
or if the converter ignores you.
--
Ian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi David,

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Using a set-top DTV converter, analog TV. Works fine, except for about a
week now the clock appears to be an hour slow.

*Exactly* an hour? (don't judge by your local wall clock;
notice the time when TV programs change and see if it coincides
with the time posted in the EPG)

I say "the clock" as if it's part of the converter, but apparently the
box gets the time from the TV stations; I notice the time changes
slightly from channel to channel sometimes. But every channel shows the
clock an hour behind. All other info--program titles, etc.--seems to be
correct.

Any way to fix this? The only options that can be set through the
on-screen menu a

o Clock: Time zone is selectable (correctly set to Pacific)
Daylight saving option is set to "Auto"

Can't see anything else that can be tweaked here.

So does the STB get the time from the stations? Is there an internal
clock? If so, why can't I set it?

It is possible the DST algorithm is wonky (Congress changes it
pretty regularly so who knows what the folks who made the converter
box *assumed* to be the rule).

What other options does the DST setting support?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:26:43 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Using a set-top DTV converter, analog TV. Works fine, except for about a
week now the clock appears to be an hour slow.

I say "the clock" as if it's part of the converter, but apparently the
box gets the time from the TV stations; I notice the time changes
slightly from channel to channel sometimes. But every channel shows the
clock an hour behind. All other info--program titles, etc.--seems to be
correct.

Any way to fix this? The only options that can be set through the
on-screen menu a

o Clock: Time zone is selectable (correctly set to Pacific)
Daylight saving option is set to "Auto"

Can't see anything else that can be tweaked here.

So does the STB get the time from the stations? Is there an internal
clock? If so, why can't I set it?

Let me guess, cheap chinese crap right? The problem is that the DST
was implemented incorrectly (which makes me wonder what else they got
wrong if they could not even get DST right!)

Turn the Daylight saving option to 'off' or 'manual'.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 16, 7:39*am, Andrew Rossmann
wrote:
In article ,
says...

Using a set-top DTV converter, analog TV. Works fine, except for about a
week now the clock appears to be an hour slow.

I say "the clock" as if it's part of the converter, but apparently the
box gets the time from the TV stations; I notice the time changes
slightly from channel to channel sometimes. But every channel shows the
clock an hour behind. All other info--program titles, etc.--seems to be
correct.

Any way to fix this? The only options that can be set through the
on-screen menu a

o Clock: Time zone is selectable (correctly set to Pacific)
* *Daylight saving option is set to "Auto"

Can't see anything else that can be tweaked here.

So does the STB get the time from the stations? Is there an internal
clock? If so, why can't I set it?

What model DTV tuner? I have a Zenith DTT901 (Best Buy sold a rebranded
one under their own name) and it acts like that. It's up to the station
to set the correct time. Many do not. The DTT gets it's time from the
current channel, or the last channel possible if it can't find a time
signal.

law!!http://home.comcast.net/~andyross- Hide quoted text -

It the daylight savings time phenomema. Many computer with older
operating systems suffer from the same Congressional-induced
problems. Another example of our dependence on electronics. If we
ever go to war, we will lose because all our missle control systems
use non-USA made electronics and spare parts will not be available.

I think I screwed up Shopdog Home Repair 17 July 4th 07 10:20 PM
Getting Screwed n cook Electronics Repair 2 May 31st 07 07:12 PM
i screwed up MitchA Woodworking 4 April 15th 05 04:33 PM
Screwed Again! Michael Stanford Woodworking 5 January 15th 05 03:41 PM