Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Default Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I inherited a repair job that I can't get started because I can't get
the damn amp open.

It's a Galaxy Audio Core PA5X140 all-in-one PA. It's a tough little
unit, with a die-cast metal chassis set into a thick rugged plastic
(polypropylene?) case, that can sit on top of a mike stand. Similar to
this one: http://galaxyaudio.com/MSPA.jsp. The front of the chassis has
6 screws into the case, and there's one on the back I removed, but I
still can't get the chassis out of the case. I tried prying the case,
thinking there might be some cast-in lugs I could open, but no luck, and
I didn't want to risk chewing up the edge of the case.

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?

At least no one has suggested a Plsma Cutter! ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Michael A. Terrell wrote in message
m...

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I inherited a repair job that I can't get started because I can't get
the damn amp open.

It's a Galaxy Audio Core PA5X140 all-in-one PA. It's a tough little
unit, with a die-cast metal chassis set into a thick rugged plastic
(polypropylene?) case, that can sit on top of a mike stand. Similar to
this one: http://galaxyaudio.com/MSPA.jsp. The front of the chassis has
6 screws into the case, and there's one on the back I removed, but I
still can't get the chassis out of the case. I tried prying the case,
thinking there might be some cast-in lugs I could open, but no luck, and
I didn't want to risk chewing up the edge of the case.

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?

At least no one has suggested a Plsma Cutter! ;-)

enough left over to pay them.

A ring cutter yes, as a last resort, to make an inspection hole.
Somewhere there is unlikely to be active stuff and where a blanking plate
could be fixed over the hole and maybe another hole if the first reveals
nothing useful. Where an "endoscope" would be useful.

I'm assuming you've run a piece of rounded off dowel over any decals for
covered screwpoint recesses.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I inherited a repair job that I can't get started because I can't get
the damn amp open.

It's a Galaxy Audio Core PA5X140 all-in-one PA. It's a tough little
unit, with a die-cast metal chassis set into a thick rugged plastic
(polypropylene?) case, that can sit on top of a mike stand. Similar to
this one: http://galaxyaudio.com/MSPA.jsp. The front of the chassis has
6 screws into the case, and there's one on the back I removed, but I
still can't get the chassis out of the case. I tried prying the case,
thinking there might be some cast-in lugs I could open, but no luck, and
I didn't want to risk chewing up the edge of the case.

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?

At least no one has suggested a Plsma Cutter! ;-)

Nah! "Angle grinder" as they always say over on uk.d-i-y :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

When you loose neg bias on audio output bottles and a hole is burnt through
the anode plate and up to the point the the glass melts and vacuum is lost ,
is that plasma cutting?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message m
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I inherited a repair job that I can't get started
because I can't get the damn amp open.

It's a Galaxy Audio Core PA5X140 all-in-one PA. It's a
tough little unit, with a die-cast metal chassis set
into a thick rugged plastic (polypropylene?) case, that
can sit on top of a mike stand. Similar to this one:
http://galaxyaudio.com/MSPA.jsp. The front of the
chassis has 6 screws into the case, and there's one on
the back I removed, but I still can't get the chassis
out of the case. I tried prying the case, thinking there
might be some cast-in lugs I could open, but no luck,
and I didn't want to risk chewing up the edge of the
case.

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?

At least no one has suggested a Plasma Cutter! ;-)

IME diamond saws are a more readily available and economical alternative.
This is one of the major changes in tooling of this millennium - industrial
diamonds are now so inexpensive that tools that effectively employ them are
readily available in most big-box home improvement stores. That all said,
this product seems to be composed of materials that are too soft and too
temperature sensitive for effective cutting by diamond-tipped tools or
plasma cutters.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I inherited a repair job that I can't get started because I can't get
the damn amp open.

It's a Galaxy Audio Core PA5X140 all-in-one PA. It's a tough little
unit, with a die-cast metal chassis set into a thick rugged plastic
(polypropylene?) case, that can sit on top of a mike stand. Similar to
this one: http://galaxyaudio.com/MSPA.jsp. The front of the chassis has
6 screws into the case, and there's one on the back I removed, but I
still can't get the chassis out of the case. I tried prying the case,
thinking there might be some cast-in lugs I could open, but no luck, and
I didn't want to risk chewing up the edge of the case.

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?

At least no one has suggested a Plsma Cutter! ;-)

Nah! "Angle grinder" as they always say over on uk.d-i-y :-)

Angle grinders are for amateurs and wimps. It takes a real prow to
cut something open with a plasma cutter and still have anything left to
repair.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Dick Pierce wrote:

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?

At least no one has suggested a Plasma Cutter! ;-)
Nah! "Angle grinder" as they always say over on uk.d-i-y
diamond saws
endoscopes
ring cutters
drop it
tap it with a screwdriver handle
unscrew it
screw it

Explosives. Now THAT'S the ticket!

Primacord.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message m
David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

A diamond saw? Save that to remodel your bathroom.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

It's a standing joke on that group Michael. "Angle grinder" is the 'silly'
answer when anyone asks for instance how to dismantle a ceramic cartridge
shower valve to clean it, or anything referring to a 'delicate' job. British
humour, and all that ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

And you still don't get American humor. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/16/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

And you still don't get American humor. ;-)

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Nah, all our humor comes from the UK: Monty Python, Dame Edna, Eddy
Izzard, Tracy Ullman, etc.

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one side we
have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being Served?" (which I
despise); on the other are those who like Benny Hill. I'm in the latter
camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total slapstick? Worked for
Chaplin ...)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Sure, look who get elected as our leaders

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

The American equivalent is, "Get a bigger hammer".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Sure, but your senses have been dulled by a lifetime of exposure to
'British Humor' ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

If you need a bigger hammer, you ARE a redneck.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 9/16/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

And you still don't get American humor. ;-)

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Nah, all our humor comes from the UK: Monty Python, Dame Edna, Eddy
Izzard, Tracy Ullman, etc.

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one side we
have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being Served?" (which I
despise); on the other are those who like Benny Hill. I'm in the latter
camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total slapstick? Worked for Chaplin
...)

You really shouldn't dis 'Are You Being Served ?' It was an absolute
classic up there with the likes of Fawlty Towers ... The double entendre
with things like Mrs Slocombe's pussy, were really quite risque for British
TV at the time. Although I used to really enjoy Benny Hill for its pure
slapstick, the humour was much cruder than that of AYBS.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Well yes, but by the same token, we've just gotten rid of one load of jokers
in Blair followed by Brown and their cronies. The jury is still out on their
replacements, but not looking too promising so far ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Arfa

The American equivalent is, "Get a bigger hammer".

If you need a bigger hammer, you ARE a redneck.

Nah, that can't be right. A tour guide in Nevada told me that you could
recognise a redneck by his paddling pool being dug into the ground ...
:-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/17/2010 6:42 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one
side we have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being
Served?" (which I despise); on the other are those who like Benny
Hill. I'm in the latter camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total
slapstick? Worked for Chaplin
...)

You really shouldn't dis 'Are You Being Served ?' It was an absolute
classic up there with the likes of Fawlty Towers ... The double entendre
with things like Mrs Slocombe's pussy, were really quite risque for British
TV at the time. Although I used to really enjoy Benny Hill for its pure
slapstick, the humour was much cruder than that of AYBS.

Well, not to belabor the point *too* much, but Fawlty Towers was
absolutely sublime compared to either one of those other two shows.

And I have to hand it to your Brits: there has never been *anything* on
television to equal "The Prisoner", and I doubt there will be in my
lifetime.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 9/16/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

And you still don't get American humor. ;-)

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Nah, all our humor comes from the UK: Monty Python, Dame Edna, Eddy
Izzard, Tracy Ullman, etc.

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one side we
have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being Served?" (which I
despise); on the other are those who like Benny Hill. I'm in the latter
camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total slapstick? Worked for Chaplin
...)

And where do those who like "Absolutely Fabulous" fit in?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

On 18/09/2010 03:46, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Shame about the remake!

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:23:31 +0100, Ron
wrote:

[...]

That remark can be applied pretty much universally.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

Yes. That bordered on the criminal. I survived I think one and a half
episodes, before deleting it from my planner ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Klaatu" wrote in message
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 9/16/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

And you still don't get American humor. ;-)

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Nah, all our humor comes from the UK: Monty Python, Dame Edna, Eddy
Izzard, Tracy Ullman, etc.

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one side we
have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being Served?" (which I
despise); on the other are those who like Benny Hill. I'm in the latter
camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total slapstick? Worked for Chaplin
...)

And where do those who like "Absolutely Fabulous" fit in?

Ab Fab was a very 'special' kind of humour that would only ever have worked
with those four main characters, who sparked off each other in a unique way.
I think that this is often the case for why remakes, as well as covers of
classic songs, often don't work. The original story or song, is written with
an actor or set of actors or singer in mind, and because of this, work well,
and become classics. Often, you can hear a song or see a film for the first
time, and just know that it will still be playing in 30 years time.

There are of course exceptions to this, but they are so few as to admirably
prove the rule.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

--

Again, the actual humour in Fawlty Towers was not that 'classic'. It worked
so well because it was written by Cleese himself, in conjunction with Connie

Interestingly, there was only ever 12 episodes. Everyone always thinks that
there was a lot more. Prunella Scales was actually amused by it all. She
said that over a very long career, she has played many many parts in TV,
film and theatre, including some really 'heavyweight' parts. And yet the one
thing that she is always remembered for, is her part as the long suffering
wife of Basil ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

[...]

Do we have any "Vicar of Dibley" fans?
Still one of my favorite shows.

And I have to hand it to your Brits: there has never been *anything* on
television to equal "The Prisoner", and I doubt there will be in my
lifetime.

Agreed. as a matter of fact I liked the show so much I named my debut CD
after it

Cheers!

Poly

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Cleese said the episodes were basically written on a week-
by week basis, and took on average no more than 10 minutes
to conceive and structure, and produce the scripted dialogue for.

I suspect it took longer to come up with the anagram.

"Fawlty Towers" was a good series, but not up to the best British and
American sitcoms. My favorite was "Basil the Rat" [sic], but that's probably
because I like sweet li'l critters.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

snip

[...]

Thanks for the interesting info. I believe those 6 hrs or so are
among the most brilliant stuff ever made for the idiot box in
ANY country ever - and I am familiar with TV in several very
different countries.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Klaatu" wrote in message
[...]

Feck! don't forget father ted.

--
They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"polymod" wrote in message

[...]

The Prisoner was another interesting one that I saw a documentary about.
McGoohan said that he originally conceived it as a sort of 'follow on' to
his character in the long running sixties series "Danger Man". However, he
never really had any clear idea exactly where it was going, and in fact it
took on a sort of life of its own, and started dragging him and the rest of
the writers with it, to the point where he had no idea how to end it. It
finally finished with the epic episode "Fallout", which I seem to recall was
a 'double' over two weeks. It's funny how it has also kept its appeal across
the generations. Some years back when my son was I guess probably about
fourteen, they showed it again in its entirety, and he was totally riveted
to it every week. This showed clearly that the story and character stood in
their own right, as he had never seen or heard of the original Danger Man
character.

I really have no idea why anyone should have thought that they could remake
this iconic series, taking liberties with the original plotline, and setting
it in Africa, with an American as the central character. The original
setting of the folly village of Portmeirion in north Wales, was central to
the concept, and could never be successfully changed.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

One of my favorite Benny Hill sequences was the one where he was the movie
director, and the scene was a couple in a gazebo. He told them to kiss, and
then told her to look down, (demurely) and say, "And what is this thing
called, "love".

So: Camera....Action....And they kiss, and she looks down and says, (in a
heavy cockney accent) "And what is THIS thing called, love?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"polymod" wrote in message

[...]

Hehe...if you mean Herbie, no it's not that "Prisoner". I wish

Poly

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/18/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

The Prisoner was another interesting one that I saw a documentary about.
McGoohan said that he originally conceived it as a sort of 'follow on' to
his character in the long running sixties series "Danger Man".

[snip]

.... which was called "Secret Agent Man" over here in the U.S. Good show,
very well conceived and put together, but of course lacking the
surrealism that made The Prisoner so great.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"polymod" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"polymod" wrote in message

[...]

Thought that was too good to be true ... :-)

Arfa