Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default PD-M551 CD Changer skips all discs

Back in November 2001, I posted a message to this group about my PD-
M551 and got the right answer on the first try:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...1a82b5a16e6477

I acquired and installed that ribbon cab;e and used the CD changer for
a couple of more years, but it developed another quirk that I have not
taken the time to research until now. When you insert the 6-disc
cartridge and press play, it pulls in each disc, rejects it without
playing anything and moves to the next disc until it fails all of
them.

I was under the impression that the new pickup cable I put in was
actually an improved cable over the original. Was I mistaken, and
will another cable repair the problem, or do I have a different
problem now?

Thanks,

Steve
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"steventhomas42" wrote in message
Back in November 2001, I posted a message to this group about my PD-
M551 and got the right answer on the first try:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...1a82b5a16e6477

I acquired and installed that ribbon cab;e and used the CD changer for
a couple of more years, but it developed another quirk that I have not
taken the time to research until now. When you insert the 6-disc
cartridge and press play, it pulls in each disc, rejects it without
playing anything and moves to the next disc until it fails all of
them.

I was under the impression that the new pickup cable I put in was
actually an improved cable over the original. Was I mistaken, and
will another cable repair the problem, or do I have a different
problem now?

Thanks,

Steve

There are two very common problems on all of the Pioneer players from that
era. First is the spindle motor. When a disc has loaded, does it spin ? If
not, does it start if you 'help' it ? Second problem on ones with the deck
mounted on top of the mech upside down, is the laser lens having fallen out
of its carrier. Try gently shaking the player or tipping it around to see if
you can hear anything rolling about. The lens can be re-attached, but it's a
bit of a delicate job, and there are a couple of pitfalls to look out for.
If it turns out to be either of these problems, post back, and one of us
should be able to guide you through the repair process. FWIW, I think it is
unlikely that you would have a problem again with the flexiprint cable.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Also, collapsed rubber insulators allow the disc to scrape while playing.
Very common, and causes skipping.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...rowse_thread/t....

[...]

Mark Z.- Hide quoted text -

It's not skipping because it never plays anything. The discs stay in
for about 5 seconds before they are returned to the cartridge and the
next disc is pulled.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Oh yeah. Forgot that one, Mark ! :-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, but what Mark is saying, is that if they collapse badly enough, the
disc can 'catch' enough to stop it rotating at all, which gives you the 'no
play' condition. It's probably a bit confusing that you use the word "skip"
in your post's subject. So now you have the three commonest problems which
cause the 'no play' condition, as you describe, defined for you.

So, does the disc spin at all, or is the lens rolling around inside the
player ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

As another post mentioned, first check to see if the disc is rotating
at all. While a disc is in position, you can give it a nudge to see
if it is free to spin. If it is free to spin but doesn't could be
a bad spindle motor or lack of focus due to a dropped lens (or something
else).

A common symptom of the bad spindle motor though is that the disc turns
too slowly to be recognized, not that it doesn't spin at all.

More info in the CD Repair FAQ at the Web sites below.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

I've found both to be about equally the case, Sam. When they run slowly, the
Pioneers almost always 'squeal', which is a dead giveaway of spindle motor
trouble. But I've also had lots with a dead spot, and which don't spin at
all until given a little 'help'. Once they've been got running, some will
come up to speed ok enough to read the TOC, but others will run slowly, and
do the squealing thing.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

I've seen bad pickups squeal (oscillate) before the spindle motor even
turns. Also, sometimes a spindle motor can set up a mechanical resonance
with the pickup and you can hear it whistle at a rate equal to the disc
rotation. You can even see the sine wave imposed on the focus and tracking
error waveforms. This seems to happen more on Sony's, though...

Mark Z.