Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default New York spic gets life for killing ex-girlfriend

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/joanna....2.1750385.html

A judge sentenced a man to life in prison Monday after he defied an
order of protection to terrorize a young Long Island mother for months,
then broke into her home and stabbed her to death.

The family of 24-year-old JoAnna Bird recalled her final days, as she
was stalked by her ex-boyfriend, Leonardo Valdez-Cruz, also the father
of her 2 children.

She was tortured and stabbed by him days after he got out of jail for
kidnapping and assaulting her, even after Bird had obtained an order of
protection against him.

Leonardo Valdez-Cruz will spend the rest of his life in prison, while
his victim's family said the system failed their daughter.

Moments after the sentencing, the victim's mother broke down.

"JoAnna I love you," Sharon Dorsett cried. "Your kids love you and we
miss you, and we will never forget you. As long as we live. You will
always be a part of us."

At trial the court listened to Valdez-Cruz violent threats to Bird in a
recorded jailhouse telephone call.

"I want you to suffer," one recording said. "I want you to suffer so bad."

In a rambling statement, Valdez-Cruz tried to convince the judge he
would never hurt Bird.

"I will maintain my innocence 'til the day I die," he said. "I loved
JoAnna. I may be a lot of things, but a killer is not one of them."

Even so, the judge gave him the maximum sentence.

"He got what he deserved," said Bird's father. "And he said it is not
over. But for him, it is over."

Bird's mom was pleased to learn the killer will not be eligible for parole.

"That was God-sent. I thank God for that," she said.

Bird's family has filed a federal lawsuit against Nassau police, saying
she repeatedly called 911 for help and they failed to protect her.

'They had every indication JoAnna Bird was a targeted woman," said Fred
Brewington, the Bird family attorney. "They did not honor her orders of
protection."

Nassau's internal review found police did not properly investigate the
suspect's stalking. Seven unnamed officers will be disciplined.