Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 2000 Lincoln ignition coil problems

I realize that there are other auto related groups to post this to but
with so many talented techs on this one I thought I give this a try as
well. My son bought a 2000 Lincoln. It has the familiar problem (I'm
told) of oil leaks around the ignition coils and then subsequent
failure of some of those coils. He plans to replace all the oil seals
associated with this but first we cleaned all the coils and I checked
them on the bench with an ohm meter and they all look the same. I
realize of course that this is not conclusive though. These read like
a standard three terminal auto transformer type of device, so can I
assume that they function basically like a standard ignition coil? Can
I apply 12V across the primary momentarily to induce the secondary
field? I have a motor driven interrupter of sorts that would
accomplish this. I read about a procedure on line apparently utilizing
special Ford test equipment, (WDC COP) and it shows oscilloscope
waveforms associated with the coils firing during test. It doesn't
show a procedure or connection diagrams though. I contacted the
manufacturer of the test equipment, Teradyne, but all they would tell
me is that it is Ford test equipment and that the equipment as well as
the procedures are proprietary. I would like to perform a similar test
using my own scope. Has anyone done anything like this? I would
imagine that you could use an inductive pickup similar to the type
found on a timing light placed around the secondary lead. I could wind
a coil if need be. Does anyone know if this would be a viable
procedure, and if so the details of the coil? Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

klem kedidelhopper wrote in message
[...]

I would have though the usual fault was interlayer discharge within the HV
windings. You can do a simple comparative test with just a neon and 100 Meg
of resistance dropper. Strongest orange discharge glow ok , poor or non
existant glow , bad

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

klem kedidelhopper wrote in message
.
..
[...]

I would think that oil would be an insulator.
It's probably defective coil construction or problem with the plastic
potting,like cracks admitting moisture.
Maybe aftermarket coils would last longer.

If you want to use your o'scope,just lay your scope probe next to the
coil,it will pick up the signal.no need to make any direct connection.
I've done it with flybacks in TEKTRONIX equipment.

If there's a problem,you'll see a clipped waveform.

One more thing to try; Dick Smith's flyback tester.(FBT)

the same guy who created the marvelous DSE(now Anatek) ESR meter.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

klem kedidelhopper wrote in message
.
..
like this? I would imagine that you could use an inductive pickup
similar to the type found on a timing light placed around the
secondary lead. I could wind a coil if need be. Does anyone know if
this would be a viable procedure, and if so the details of the coil?
Thanks, Lenny

I would have though the usual fault was interlayer discharge within
the HV windings. You can do a simple comparative test with just a neon
and 100 Meg of resistance dropper. Strongest orange discharge glow ok
, poor or non existant glow , bad

I would think that oil would be an insulator.
It's probably defective coil construction or problem with the plastic
potting,like cracks admitting moisture.
Maybe aftermarket coils would last longer.

The easiest thing to do is swap the coils and see if the problem moves
with the coil. I agree with Jim, it is most likely a potting problem and
an aftermarket coil will resolve it.

Tom

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

klem kedidelhopper wrote:
I realize that there are other auto related groups to post this to but
with so many talented techs on this one I thought I give this a try as
well. My son bought a 2000 Lincoln. It has the familiar problem (I'm
told) of oil leaks around the ignition coils and then subsequent
failure of some of those coils. He plans to replace all the oil seals
associated with this but first we cleaned all the coils and I checked
them on the bench with an ohm meter and they all look the same. I
realize of course that this is not conclusive though. These read like
a standard three terminal auto transformer type of device, so can I
assume that they function basically like a standard ignition coil? Can
I apply 12V across the primary momentarily to induce the secondary
field? I have a motor driven interrupter of sorts that would

You kind of are over thinking this.

I have a 97 Lincoln with the coil-on-plugs, with the associated ocassional
oil leak, but you are better off getting a OBD2 tester and let the onboard
computer tell you the bad ones.

It'll spit back the exact "cylinder misfire on ...".

Off hand, failure of them I don't think is related to the oil problem. I've
had two of those coils fail so far and the last one was dry as a bone even
though it was drivers side closest to the firewall and the 1st plug closest
to the radiator was completely submerged, that one was fine.

I just sop out the oil with twisted paper towels every once in a while (2 or
3 years) and just keep on going.

Unless you are topping out the oil every time you fill up, it's probably not
worth bothering to fix, if it can be fixed at all. I've seen guys say they
went through the trouble of replacing the valve cover gaskets with the
problem returning in 6 months or so.

Seems to me like it's a few drops a month which eventually fills up the
chamber the plug sits in, but like I said, once in a while just sop out the
excess with a twisted paper towel and it'll be fine.

The replacement made-in-china coils are only around $30 anyway.

Also if you haven't stumbled into it, try this site:

http://www.markviii.org

Although it's for Mark VIII owners (which was stopped in 1998), there are
quite a few discussions about this matter on there that might be helpful.

-bruce

whats the difference between an AC Ignition coil and a DC one? Gunner Asch[_4_] Metalworking 2 November 24th 08 10:21 PM
whats the difference between an AC Ignition coil and a DC one? Don Foreman Metalworking 0 November 24th 08 06:06 PM
lawnboy m-series ignition coil gap [email protected] Home Repair 8 September 14th 05 04:51 PM
Ignition coil Backlash Metalworking 16 December 7th 04 03:40 AM
ECM firing ignition coil question Mark Leininger Electronics Repair 8 October 19th 04 04:34 PM