Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default 2000 Lincoln ignition coil problems

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

klem kedidelhopper wrote in message
.
..
I realize that there are other auto related groups to post this to
but with so many talented techs on this one I thought I give this a
try as well. My son bought a 2000 Lincoln. It has the familiar
problem (I'm told) of oil leaks around the ignition coils and then
subsequent failure of some of those coils. He plans to replace all
the oil seals associated with this but first we cleaned all the coils
and I checked them on the bench with an ohm meter and they all look
the same. I realize of course that this is not conclusive though.
These read like a standard three terminal auto transformer type of
device, so can I assume that they function basically like a standard
ignition coil? Can I apply 12V across the primary momentarily to
induce the secondary field? I have a motor driven interrupter of
sorts that would accomplish this. I read about a procedure on line
apparently utilizing special Ford test equipment, (WDC COP) and it
shows oscilloscope waveforms associated with the coils firing during
test. It doesn't show a procedure or connection diagrams though. I
contacted the manufacturer of the test equipment, Teradyne, but all
they would tell me is that it is Ford test equipment and that the
equipment as well as the procedures are proprietary. I would like to
perform a similar test using my own scope. Has anyone done anything
like this? I would imagine that you could use an inductive pickup
similar to the type found on a timing light placed around the
secondary lead. I could wind a coil if need be. Does anyone know if
this would be a viable procedure, and if so the details of the coil?
Thanks, Lenny

I would have though the usual fault was interlayer discharge within
the HV windings. You can do a simple comparative test with just a neon
and 100 Meg of resistance dropper. Strongest orange discharge glow ok
, poor or non existant glow , bad

I would think that oil would be an insulator.
It's probably defective coil construction or problem with the plastic
potting,like cracks admitting moisture.
Maybe aftermarket coils would last longer.

If you want to use your o'scope,just lay your scope probe next to the
coil,it will pick up the signal.no need to make any direct connection.
I've done it with flybacks in TEKTRONIX equipment.

If there's a problem,you'll see a clipped waveform.

One more thing to try; Dick Smith's flyback tester.(FBT)

the same guy who created the marvelous DSE(now Anatek) ESR meter.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik