Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Lead free solder

"Baron" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

Just for the record here's a few pictures of a laptop power socket that
used lead free solder. You can see the erosion caused by poor
electrical conductivity of the joint between the center pin and the
circuit board. The hole was originally plated through but there was
little left of the plating. An open circuit and discharged battery
resulted in a non working machine.

The images don't show in "ser" check
in "alt.binaries.schematics.electronic"

I just got through repairing the accumulation of PC monitors I'd taken out
of service because of lead-free solder syndrome.

Most people scrap them and buy a new one - not very eco-friendly at all!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ian field Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

Just for the record here's a few pictures of a laptop power socket
that used lead free solder. You can see the erosion caused by poor
electrical conductivity of the joint between the center pin and the
circuit board. The hole was originally plated through but there was
little left of the plating. An open circuit and discharged battery
resulted in a non working machine.

The images don't show in "ser" check
in "alt.binaries.schematics.electronic"

I just got through repairing the accumulation of PC monitors I'd taken
out of service because of lead-free solder syndrome.

Most people scrap them and buy a new one - not very eco-friendly at
all!

I agree, its a shame, all that nice kit that gets dumped because its
cheaper to replace than repair. In my case the pictures were the
product of doing a repair.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 25, 4:09*pm, Baron wrote:
ian field Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
[...]

* * * * * * * * * * *Baron.- Hide quoted text -

Lead free solder was invented by the government since they knew it
would create more jobs (taxes) as the lead free solder caused trouble
and things were thrown out instead of being repaired.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"sparky" wrote in message
On May 25, 4:09 pm, Baron wrote:
ian field Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
[...]

Why would a European government want to create more jobs in China?!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 26 May 2010 05:25:21 -0700 (PDT), sparky wrote:

Lead free solder was invented by the government since they knew it
would create more jobs (taxes) as the lead free solder caused trouble
and things were thrown out instead of being repaired.

surface mount, package pin densities, and labor costs have guaranteed
that almost nothing is repaired beyond the board level making solder type
irrelevent. Even board level repairs are unlikely when the cost of
repairing an item is far higher than its replacement cost.

Leadfree solder was created not to cause electronics be discarded
instead of repaired, but *because* electronics were being discarded in
great numbers. Even for items that can be repaired, they frequently
aren't repaired because anything older than about 18 months is
obsolete in the mind of the consumer.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2010 05:25:21 -0700 (PDT), sparky wrote:

Lead free solder was invented by the government since they knew it
would create more jobs (taxes) as the lead free solder caused trouble
and things were thrown out instead of being repaired.

surface mount, package pin densities, and labor costs have guaranteed
that almost nothing is repaired beyond the board level making solder type
irrelevent. Even board level repairs are unlikely when the cost of
repairing an item is far higher than its replacement cost.

Leadfree solder was created not to cause electronics be discarded
instead of repaired, but *because* electronics were being discarded in
great numbers. Even for items that can be repaired, they frequently
aren't repaired because anything older than about 18 months is
obsolete in the mind of the consumer.

Which is why, to stray completely off-topic, we should replace income
tax with a national sales tax. Let the 95% of the masses who are
compulsive consumers foot the bill.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 26 May 2010 08:47:05 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

Sorry. I didn't know I was responsding to a lunatic.