Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sparky sparky is offline

Default Lead free solder

On May 25, 4:09*pm, Baron wrote:
ian field Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

Just for the record here's a few pictures of a laptop power socket
that used lead free solder. You can see the erosion caused by poor
electrical conductivity of the joint between the center pin and the
circuit board. The hole was originally plated through but there was
little left of the plating. An open circuit and discharged battery
resulted in a non working machine.

The images don't show in "ser" check
in "alt.binaries.schematics.electronic"

I just got through repairing the accumulation of PC monitors I'd taken
out of service because of lead-free solder syndrome.

Most people scrap them and buy a new one - not very eco-friendly at
all!

I agree, its a shame, all that nice kit that gets dumped because its
cheaper to replace than repair. *In my case the pictures were the
product of doing a repair.

--
Best Regards:
* * * * * * * * * * *Baron.- Hide quoted text -

Lead free solder was invented by the government since they knew it
would create more jobs (taxes) as the lead free solder caused trouble
and things were thrown out instead of being repaired.