Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tale of a monitor

Hi Paul

End of saga: the fault was High Voltage leakage from the top
Backlight to chassis.
It finally dawned on me, that the reason why, with the
Inverter PCB only running and remote from chassis,the
Backlights stayed on. But as soon as you reassembled
everything, you were back where you started. I lost count
how many times I did this. (blame getting old).
Proved the point by running inverter remotely and when lamps
were running OK, shorting the Inverter chassis to LCD
chassis, tripped Backlights off.
That's when I started my real troubles.
To get at lamps, you have to dismantle Panel: not an
impossible job, but remembering how everything is fitted IS.
Get it right and it is passable. But I got them Muddled a
few times.
Re Broken Backlight I got a quote of £38.00 for a similar
light and the dealer had to order from America. I declined
quote as description pointed to the possibility it was not
an exact replacement.
Have wired in a Laptop lamp protem to carry on testing, but
I think its throwing the error circuits out of balance.

All above is in material now. ON the last assemble, I must
have damaged the LCD screen as I now have about 3" of
vertical coloured lines on Right Hand side.
So I think Monitor is a write off without I can get a
reasonably priced LCD module.

There was one offered in Italy, but with carriage charges it
was nearly price of new Monitor.

Regards to both of you, and hope you are getting settled in OK.

Tommy
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

End of saga: the fault was High Voltage leakage from
the top Backlight to chassis.
It finally dawned on me, that the reason why, with the
Inverter PCB only running and remote from chassis, the
Backlights stayed on. But as soon as you reassembled
everything, you were back where you started. I lost count
how many times I did this. (blame getting old).

Don't be so hard on yourself. This happens to everyone.

The principle is... 90% of the time, all the symptoms needed to properly
diagnose the problem are right there, in front of your eyes, but you don't
recognize the connection. Then when you do, you wonder "How could I have
been so stupid?".

A tale of two boilers... Terry Fields UK diy 21 January 9th 10 09:20 PM
Another fairy tale? Michael A. Terrell Electronic Schematics 0 September 20th 08 07:45 PM
OT - A Christmas Tale J T Woodworking 3 December 18th 05 11:25 PM
A tale of nothingness Paulie Points Home Repair 21 April 20th 05 01:34 AM