Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default safe to use microwave after spark

Hello,

A family member mistakenly hit the Cook button instead of the Timer
and a small spark was seen. He immediately shut off the power and
everything looks good.

Is it safe to use if all parts are still intact?

Thanks for you advise.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

lora wrote:
Hello,

A family member mistakenly hit the Cook button instead of the Timer
and a small spark was seen. He immediately shut off the power and
everything looks good.

Is it safe to use if all parts are still intact?

Thanks for you advise.

Dont do it tooo often

But I have those sparks occasionally when there is a very
small portion inside, or something with metal on it,
plates with a nice gold border painted on give nice fireworks,
also you should try a (worthless) cd sometime.
Then an old,broken lamp or a burning candle is quite funny.

Put a glass of water inside to keep the magnetron happy, they
dont like a no-load situation, as you found out.
With no-load, the field-strength becomes high enough to cause sparks
(and damage).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 23, 7:05*pm, lora wrote:
Hello,

A family member mistakenly hit the Cook button instead of the Timer
and a small spark was seen. He immediately shut off the power and
everything looks good.

Is it safe to use if all parts are still intact?

Thanks for you advise.

So put a cup of water in and see if it will heat up. It either will or
will not. My prediction is it will be fine.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 23, 9:05*pm, lora wrote:
Hello,

A family member mistakenly hit the Cook button instead of the Timer
and a small spark was seen. He immediately shut off the power and
everything looks good.

Is it safe to use if all parts are still intact?

Thanks for you advise.

It would help if you told us where the spark was seen, inside the
oven,, inside the control area, etc??!!!!!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It was inside the oven. Saw a spark when the microwave turned on.

Earlier, we had seen a spark when cooking a frozen package of
steamfresh veggies and this had caused the board that is attached on
the interior top of the microwave to be partially torn. Not sure what
the purpose of the board in the interior top part of the microwave is
for.

Anyways, thanks and let me know what you think. BTW, we used it today
and it works. My mother can smell some burning odor, but no one else
can. The parts at the bottom look intact.

Thx

On Apr 24, 12:04*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Apr 23, 9:05*pm, lora wrote:

Hello,

A family member mistakenly hit the Cook button instead of the Timer
and a small spark was seen. He immediately shut off the power and
everything looks good.

Is it safe to use if all parts are still intact?

Thanks for you advise.

It would help if you told us where the spark was seen, inside the
oven,, inside the control area, etc??!!!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 25/04/2010 00:35, lora wrote:
It was inside the oven. Saw a spark when the microwave turned on.

Earlier, we had seen a spark when cooking a frozen package of
steamfresh veggies and this had caused the board that is attached on
the interior top of the microwave to be partially torn. Not sure what
the purpose of the board in the interior top part of the microwave is
for.

It's the wave guide cover. It's a sheet of mica that has fractured and
needs replacement.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...wave_oven.html

--
Adrian C