Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic KX-TG2382 Cordless Phone Hookswitch Troubles

Hello all...

I have a Panasonic KX-TG2382 cordless phone system in good condition that is
having hookswitch issues. I noticed the problem at first when answering
calls--if the "talk" or "speaker" buttons were pressed on the handset to
answer the phone, the telephone system would behave as though I had pressed
flash or quickly hit the hookswitch (the dialtone would come on and pulse a
few times before going solid). If I shut the phone off after attempting to
answer the call, the line would start ringing again, and I could catch the
incoming call with another (wired) phone.

If there is not a call on the line, and I turn on the phone to place a call,
the phone may not come off hook for anywhere from several seconds to almost
instantly. There are two handsets and both behave the same way, lending some
support to a theory that the problem is in the base unit.

At first I suspected the handsets, but they're working fine. So I looked
inside the base unit and started tracing the circuit, as that's where the
actual "hookswitch" event would probably be handled. There's a transistor on
the board in the base unit that appears to do the job, marked "A1625" on its
casing. From what I can tell, it should be a "KSA1625" high voltage
switching transistor.

Am I right in thinking that little transistor might be failing after many
years of helping to answer calls?

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 20:09:15 -0500, "William R. Walsh"
m put finger to
keyboard and composed:

At first I suspected the handsets, but they're working fine. So I looked
inside the base unit and started tracing the circuit, as that's where the
actual "hookswitch" event would probably be handled. There's a transistor on
the board in the base unit that appears to do the job, marked "A1625" on its
casing. From what I can tell, it should be a "KSA1625" high voltage
switching transistor.

Am I right in thinking that little transistor might be failing after many
years of helping to answer calls?

I would suspect the relay (?) before I would suspect the transistor. I
have seen modems where the reed relay contacts have stuck closed.
Yours appears to be stuck in the open state. If you can configure your
base unit for pulse dialing mode, try dialing a bunch of zeros and
listen for clicking.

- Franc Zabkar