Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Good Contact Cleaner ?

Hello,

Was recommended the GC 19-724 contact cleaner, but cannot purchase it
because it comes in a box of 12. Would like something similar, that
can be ordered in a single quantity.

Would something like Zero-Tri Super Cleaner/Degreaser act in the same
way? (Would like to remove WD-40)

Thank you
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 00:17:07 -0700 (PDT), Solo
wrote:

Was recommended the GC 19-724 contact cleaner, but cannot purchase it
because it comes in a box of 12. Would like something similar, that
can be ordered in a single quantity.

Would something like Zero-Tri Super Cleaner/Degreaser act in the same
way? (Would like to remove WD-40)

The lubricant in WD-40 is either mineral oil or Naphtha in Europe.
Both can be removed with alcohol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
Once the mineral oil is gone, then you can then use any contact
cleaner on your unspecified device. I wouldn't try to do the job in
one pass.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sorry, I should have specified the device: I am trying to fix a VCR,
which some WD-40 got sprayed, near the area where the two reels are
located, now trying to remove it: I could use an Isopropyl Alcohol
cleaner, and I believe it might be available as an aerosol by GC
Electronics. After using this, I would like to apply the contact
cleaner, to make sure the WD-40 is gone.

wrote:
Was recommended the GC 19-724 contact cleaner, but cannot purchase it
because it comes in a box of 12. *Would like something similar, that
can be ordered in a single quantity.

Would something like Zero-Tri Super Cleaner/Degreaser act in the same
way? *(Would like to remove WD-40)

The lubricant in WD-40 is either mineral oil or Naphtha in Europe.
Both can be removed with alcohol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
Once the mineral oil is gone, then you can then use any contact
cleaner on your unspecified device. *I wouldn't try to do the job in
one pass.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann * * AE6KS * *831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 17:25:51 -0700 (PDT), Solo
wrote:

Sorry, I should have specified the device: I am trying to fix a VCR,
which some WD-40 got sprayed, near the area where the two reels are
located, now trying to remove it: I could use an Isopropyl Alcohol
cleaner, and I believe it might be available as an aerosol by GC
Electronics. After using this, I would like to apply the contact
cleaner, to make sure the WD-40 is gone.

Watch out for the rubber parts. Both the solvent and the oils will
attack the rubber.

Under the reels is a mess of plastic parts with some grease as
lubrication. If you use alcohol to clean off the WD-40 oil residue,
you'll also disolve off some of the grease. Contact cleaner is NOT a
suitable replacement for the grease. I like to use automotive lithium
white grease for VCR's, but it might be a bit thick.

Reading between your lines, my guess is that you're trying to fix this
without disassembling the VCR. Bad news. You're going to have to
take it apart and clean out the guts. I doubt that the WD-40 has done
much damage unless someone emptied the can. Open it up, clean up what
you can with lint free rag and put the grease back where applicable
(metal to plastic points of contact).

Forget the contact cleaner. There are no contacts to clean inside.
Contact cleaner contains Oleic Acid and Naptha. Oleic acid is mildly
corrosive and removes the oxides from the silver or copper contacts.
There's no benefit to doing that in a VCR mechanism. In addition, the
solvent carrier will rot the plastic and rubber. Forget the contact
cleaner.

Servisol contact cleaner js.b1 UK diy 4 November 16th 09 06:30 PM
when is it proper to use contact cleaner? komodore comrade Electronics Repair 2 July 25th 05 06:53 PM
Contact cleaner Dave M. Electronics Repair 5 March 20th 05 05:44 AM
better - DEOXIT, RIDOX, SUPER CONTACT CLEANER, WD40 or.. Jack Blake Electronics Repair 1 September 4th 04 11:27 PM
contact cleaner on pc board and parts Tanya Electronics Repair 7 December 6th 03 04:09 PM