Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Why is NS +12V regulator marked LM2940CT -12 ?

not printed as LM2940CT /12 say.
Any other awkward ones like that, hopefully to lodge in memory, or just a NS
thing.
Not being familiar with that range the 9 in the type number triggers a
mental connection with 79 series negative regs

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 2, 8:26*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
not printed as LM2940CT /12 say.
Any other awkward ones like that, hopefully to lodge in memory, or just a NS
thing.
Not being familiar with that range the 9 in the type number triggers a
mental connection with 79 series negative regs

Uh, because that is the part number?
The LM2940 family are low drop out POSITIVE regulators with the
voltage shown as a suffix.
Sure, the 79xx series were the negative regulators of the early
series, but before that they had other numbers such as LM340 [I
think].
Surely you cannot expect that they will avoid vaguely similar numbers
to old devices just because someone MIGHT confuse them for a much
older device numbering? It is also not National's fault that the dash
and the minus sign happen to look very similar.

Neil S.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:26:31 +0100, "N_Cook" wrote:

not printed as LM2940CT /12 say.
Any other awkward ones like that, hopefully to lodge in memory, or just a NS
thing.
Not being familiar with that range the 9 in the type number triggers a
mental connection with 79 series negative regs

Because sometime, back in the days when electricity was being
discovered, decided to recycle the "hyphen" as a "minus" sign, under
the assumption that a "hyphen" would never be used in electronics, and
a "minus" would never be used in typography. The "hyphen" always
appends or prepends a letter, while the "minus" always prepends a
number. That actually worked quite well, until the invention of
electronic part numbers, causing problems as you have noticed. Sorry,
but I don't think lecturing the entire electronics industry on the
proper use of the "hyphen", "dash", and "minus" signs.

The best you can do is that if the symbol is preceded by a space, and
succeeded by a number, it's a minus sign as in -12volts. However, if
proceeded by a character, as in a part number, it's a hyphen. However,
that doesn't help when the laser markings word wrap the part number,
or someone arbitrarily adds a space to improve the appearance.

Note that the hyphen and dash are different:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minus#Minus_sign

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann wrote in message
[...]

I later found a supplier listing of V regs by , indexed by maker name. Only
NS out of 6 makers adopted, still adopts, the use of the minus sign in some
positive device type numbers. The one that confused me is the wrap around
situation , but I still don't see why they could not have used underscore_
or slash/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
N_Cook wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Tradition. That's how they numbered both of their LM320 (negative)
and LM340 (positive) parts.

The 78xx and 79xx numbers were Fairchild, orginally.

Mark Zenier