Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Resistors marked 4.7 ohm K

That is 4.7 (Greek omega ) K
4.7 ohm not 4.7K, what is the function of the K , other than to confuse the
unwary?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:30:33 -0000, "N Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

That is 4.7 (Greek omega ) K
4.7 ohm not 4.7K, what is the function of the K , other than to confuse the
unwary?

K = +/- 10% tolerance.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:30:33 -0000, "N Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

That is 4.7 (Greek omega ) K
4.7 ohm not 4.7K, what is the function of the K , other than to confuse

the
unwary?

K = +/- 10% tolerance.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor

- Franc Zabkar

I would have expected a space betweeen the omega and K or on a differnet
line , but then there isn't on a 4 band resistor.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A resistor marked 4.7K, means 4,700 ohms. The K is the multiplier for
"kilo" or "X 1000"

3.3K = 3,300 ohms
5.6K = 5,600 ohms

Jerry G.
======

On Jan 11, 12:30*pm, "N Cook" wrote:
That is 4.7 (Greek omega ) K
4.7 ohm not 4.7K, what is the function of the K , other than to confuse the
unwary?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home..graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jerry G." wrote in message
A resistor marked 4.7K, means 4,700 ohms. The K is the multiplier for
"kilo" or "X 1000"

3.3K = 3,300 ohms
5.6K = 5,600 ohms

Jerry G.
======

But that clearly wasn't what he was describing, and was the whole point of
the post ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
"Jerry G." wrote in message

A resistor marked 4.7K, means 4,700 ohms. The K is the
multiplier for "kilo" or "X 1000"

3.3K = 3,300 ohms
5.6K = 5,600 ohms

But that clearly wasn't what he was describing, and was the
whole point of the post ...

Not to mention the fact that the K (or M) often replaces the decimal point.
So 4K7 is 4700 ohms.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote in message
That is 4.7 (Greek omega ) K
4.7 ohm not 4.7K, what is the function of the K , other than to confuse

the
unwary?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

As there is some confusion
a picture of one marked 6.8 instead of 4.7
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/ohmk.jpg

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N Cook" wrote in message
N Cook wrote in message
That is 4.7 (Greek omega ) K
4.7 ohm not 4.7K, what is the function of the K , other than to confuse

the
unwary?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

As there is some confusion
a picture of one marked 6.8 instead of 4.7
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/ohmk.jpg

I don't think that there was any confusion amongst most of us, and Franc's
answer is the right one.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

In some contexts K means 10% tolerance (I think). Or is it 5%?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 07:16:18 -0500, "mc"
wrote:

In some contexts K means 10% tolerance (I think). Or is it 5%?

http://tinyurl.com/2obllk

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: