Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default Odd behaviour from battery motor

I made my Curtain Controller 6 years ago based on a motor I stripped from an
inexpensive battery-operated screwdriver drill (3V). In general it has worked
fine. But for the last year or two it has developed a strange intermittent
fault. Suddenly, instead of opening or closing the bedroom curtains in under
2 seconds, it will become glacially slow, taking maybe 10 seconds or so.
Although it always gets there in the end (closing the appropriate
microswitch), it's irritating.

I don't mean 'intermittent' in the usual sense. It continues in this slow
mode for several *months*. Then, just as suddenly, it will revert to its
normal fast mode. And stay that way for months.

A few days ago it once again reverted to slow mode, perhaps the 3rd or 4th
time in 2 or 3 years. I made an even more concerted but fruitless effort
than before to isolate the cause. It's definitely *not* the batteries, my
primary suspect. I've tried several sets of 3 x NiCd/NiMh C-types,
well-charged, all giving identical results. Voltage during operation remains
more than adequate for the 3V motor. I'm also sure it's not the mechanics,
friction, obstruction, etc.

Logically that seems to leave only the motor itself. Is it possible for such
a motor to exhibit this sort of behaviour and if so what's the likely cause
please? Is it fixable or am I going to have to find an identical motor?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

Bad contact with the rotor commutator, a bad connection
in the field coils or the rotor coils, a bad on/off switch,
loose screws on the (internal) motor wiring ....etc....
Most probable the commutator contact, or an intermittent break in
one of the rotor coils.
Unless that last one is just on the commutator connection,
it wont be easy to repair.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Terry Pinnell wrote in message
news
[...]

I would settle for "if it ain't actually broke, don't poke", live with it
knowing that there is a break in the internal wiring and sometimes the motor
will run like a washing machine motor in wash cycle rather than spin cycle,
designed-in in that situation

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Have you looked at the brushes? Perhaps they're binding in the brush-
holders, or getting to be
too short.

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

When you were measuring voltages did you measure the voltage at the
motor, or upstream? You could have a bad connection between your
battery and your motor which would leave your battery as happy as a
clam, yet leave your motor under fed.

Have you checked for mechanical resistance? Perhaps the mechanism is at
fault, and the electronics are fine.

If the motor isn't seeing excess back-torque, and it's getting proper
voltage, then the problem is the motor. If not -- not.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

[...]

Bad brushes and or dirty commutator is the most likely cause. Clean or
replace the brushes. If possible chuck up the motor rotor in a lathe and
lightly sand the commutator exposing fresh metal, blow clean. A three volt
motor has almost no voltage "head room" to allow for loses in the
brush-commutator junction. Dirt and bad contact can cause the loss of half
of the drive which is what you apparently experience. A higher voltage motor
is much less prone to such failures.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Bob Eld" wrote:

[...]

Thanks all, much appreciated.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

. I'm also sure it's not the mechanics,
friction, obstruction, etc.

How about the mechanics of the motor assembly?

Logically that seems to leave only the motor itself. Is it possible for such
a motor to exhibit this sort of behaviour and if so what's the likely cause
please? Is it fixable or am I going to have to find an identical motor?

Does the motor have gear pack reduction unit attached to it?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Terry Pinnell Inscribed thus:

[...]

Grease solidifying with age in the gearbox.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Terry Pinnell wrote:

[...]

I'd guess that it got oiled too much. Oil on the electrical contacts
acts as a speed regulator by only allowing the brushes and commutator to
touch through the film when they move very slowly. The thicker the oil,
the slower the motor. You can probably clean it with a Q-Tip through a
vent hole. Luckily it's a 3V motor. A higher voltage motor would
quickly arc itself to death doing this.

MCB behaviour David J UK diy 6 September 28th 09 03:55 PM
Ant behaviour John UK diy 12 May 5th 09 08:31 PM
Small motor speed control + battery holder - how/where? [email protected] UK diy 20 May 20th 08 09:02 PM
Bee Behaviour Rod UK diy 6 May 8th 08 12:47 PM
Assistance With Rigging 110V Motor Appliance from Battery Johnnie Norsworthy Electronics 0 April 23rd 08 10:33 PM