Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

Default What happens to old CRT monitors?

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:23:32 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

What's to recycle?

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

In article , Chris Whelan cawhelan@pr
ejudicentlworld.com writes

What's to recycle?

Plastic case? I also seem to remember that the tube electron guns
contain a small amount of precious metal and the "recyclers" send them
out to the third world where the tube necks are broken and the guns
extracted, then the rest is abandoned.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
(")_(") http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 18/03/2010 7:07 PM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In , Chris Whelancawhelan@pr
ejudicentlworld.com writes

What's to recycle?

Plastic case? I also seem to remember that the tube electron guns
contain a small amount of precious metal and the "recyclers" send them
out to the third world where the tube necks are broken and the guns
extracted, then the rest is abandoned.

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, literally.

Sylvia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:58:43 GMT, Chris Whelan
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:23:32 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

What's to recycle?

Chris

What I'd like to konw about is this story of lead and it poisoning the
earth. I thought 99% of the lead waa mixed with the glass in the
front of the CRT and the only part that could leach out is a small
part along the surface. So what's the danger?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:07:45 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Chris Whelan cawhelan@pr
ejudicentlworld.com writes

What's to recycle?

Plastic case? I also seem to remember that the tube electron guns
contain a small amount of precious metal and the "recyclers" send them
out to the third world where the tube necks are broken and the guns
extracted, then the rest is abandoned.

That's a lot of weight to ship half way around the world for a very small
return.

I really doubt that many CRT's are not just sent to land fill.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

In article , Chris Whelan wrote:
What's to recycle?

Quite a lot of glass, for one thing.

A former colleague told me of an interesting experience he'd had in a
former life (job) getting rid of a decommissioned mainframe. He had all
sorts of quotes from people wanting to charge him for disposing of the
kit, and a local scrap dealer offering to /pay/ him for it. It turned
out that mainframes of that age had enough gold in their contacts for
it to be worth recovering it (by dissolving it in cyanide, I gather --
don't stand downwind!). The cabinets would have been good for scrap
metal, the rest was probably landfill.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 18/03/2010 06:23, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

Deflection coils around the neck of the tube have copper wire. Mains
transformer, flyback transformer also full of copper wire.

les.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chris Whelan wrote in
:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:07:45 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Chris Whelan
cawhelan@pr ejudicentlworld.com writes

What's to recycle?

Plastic case? I also seem to remember that the tube electron guns
contain a small amount of precious metal and the "recyclers" send
them out to the third world where the tube necks are broken and the
guns extracted, then the rest is abandoned.

That's a lot of weight to ship half way around the world for a very
small return.

I really doubt that many CRT's are not just sent to land fill.

Chris

I know Tektronix used to recycle old CRTs that were returned from TEK
service centers;they removed the guns,refurbished them,saved the faceplates
and refurbished them,saved quite a bit of money doing this.

I believe my local landfill disassembles the CRT TVs and monitors,and sends
the PCBs to a recycler,and the CRTs go elsewhere for crushing and the glass
gets reused.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

"Les Matthew" wrote in message
On 18/03/2010 06:23, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

Front Glass (viewing area) which could be up to 1" thick on some large
models is very high in lead contents.

Until recent EU legislation on lead crystal processing: these front bits
were sliced and shipped to factories in Germany.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt
b b is offline

On Mar 18, 1:20*pm, "Raj Kundra" raj@REM0VE
THISkundracomputers.co.uk wrote:
"Les Matthew" wrote in message

On 18/03/2010 06:23, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? *The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? *The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

Front Glass (viewing area) which could be up to 1" thick on some large
models is very high in lead contents.

Until recent EU legislation on lead crystal processing: these front bits
were sliced and shipped to factories in Germany.

see:
http://www.ban.org/ban_news/2009/091...recyclers.html

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/to...cling-20090218

Apparently there's even a town called 'HP Laserjet' because of the
accumulated printers dumped by the west:
http://www.up.edu.pe/serv/boletin/01...&serv _key=13
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

Mike Tomlinson Inscribed thus:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has
all sorts of toxic nasties in it.

If they are anything like our disposal people they get crushed and the
glass gets recycled. All the metal is recovered and recycled too.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm Inscribed thus:

wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:23:32 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up
in
his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just
got rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has
all sorts of toxic nasties in it.

What's to recycle?

Chris

What I'd like to konw about is this story of lead and it poisoning the
earth. I thought 99% of the lead waa mixed with the glass in the
front of the CRT and the only part that could leach out is a small
part along the surface. So what's the danger?

The crushed glass (cullet) gets mixed with fresh silica and melted down
to produce "Milk Bottles", jars and containers among other things.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Daniel James Inscribed thus:

In article , Chris Whelan wrote:
What's to recycle?

Quite a lot of glass, for one thing.

A former colleague told me of an interesting experience he'd had in a
former life (job) getting rid of a decommissioned mainframe. He had
all sorts of quotes from people wanting to charge him for disposing of
the kit, and a local scrap dealer offering to /pay/ him for it. It
turned out that mainframes of that age had enough gold in their
contacts for it to be worth recovering it (by dissolving it in
cyanide, I gather -- don't stand downwind!). The cabinets would have
been good for scrap metal, the rest was probably landfill.

Cheers,
Daniel.

I used to know a guy that went around buying up the old Strowger
telephone exchanges, just for the precious metal, platinum, used for
the contacts and gold plating. He extracted the contacts and other
stuff he wanted then sold the remainder for scrap metal. He made a lot
of money doing that.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Raj Kundra" raj@REM0VE THISkundracomputers.co.uk wrote in
m:

"Les Matthew" wrote in message
On 18/03/2010 06:23, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up
in his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just
got rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has
all sorts of toxic nasties in it.

Front Glass (viewing area) which could be up to 1" thick on some large
models is very high in lead contents.

Until recent EU legislation on lead crystal processing: these front
bits were sliced and shipped to factories in Germany.

so now what do they do with the leaded glass?
And how many Germans lost jobs from that move?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

Hi Sylvia,

Sylvia Else wrote:
On 18/03/2010 7:07 PM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In , Chris Whelancawhelan@pr
ejudicentlworld.com writes

What's to recycle?

Plastic case? I also seem to remember that the tube electron guns
contain a small amount of precious metal and the "recyclers" send them
out to the third world where the tube necks are broken and the guns
extracted, then the rest is abandoned.

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, literally.

Depends on the particular economies involved.

Often, there is little/no cost of *acquiring* the "materials";
folks "give them" to disposal companies/sites. A local
non-profit (here) probably processes a few thousand a year?
(They *charge* to dispose of TV's, though, as TV's are
often harder to recycle -- wooden enclosures, etc.)

Most are shipped to places like Mexico where they are
disassembled and recycled at a lower level. E.g., yokes
are almost pure copper, glass can be ground up and mixed
in asphalt for new roadways, etc.

I think even "empty containers" going back to the far east
are often filled with "junk" like this (since the container
has to get back there anyway!)

I think the basic unspoken assumption is "better discarded
on THEIR soil than on OURS" :-/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Mar 18, 1:38*am, Daniel James wrote:
In article , Chris Whelan wrote:
What's to recycle?

Quite a lot of glass, for one thing.

A former colleague told me of an interesting experience he'd had in a
former life (job) getting rid of a decommissioned mainframe. He had all
sorts of quotes from people wanting to charge him for disposing of the
kit, and a local scrap dealer offering to /pay/ him for it. It turned
out that mainframes of that age had enough gold in their contacts for
it to be worth recovering it (by dissolving it in cyanide, I gather --
don't stand downwind!). The cabinets would have been good for scrap
metal, the rest was probably landfill.

Cheers,
*Daniel.

the Zilog Development system has over $320 of gold in it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 18, 5:38*am, baron wrote:
Mike Tomlinson Inscribed thus:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? *The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? *The tube has
all sorts of toxic nasties in it.

If they are anything like our disposal people they get crushed and the
glass gets recycled. *All the metal is recovered and recycled too.

--
Best Regards:
* * * * * * * * Baron.

"..they all get crushed.." and we all know how painful that can be.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 17, 11:23*pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? *The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? *The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

--
(\__/) *
(='.'=) *Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
(")_(") *http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

In our area, you can take monitors, etc to Trimble Salvage and get $5
to $8 each.

However, if you toss it into the trash and it's found, you can receive
a $500 fine.

It's my understanding the salvage people do something to purge the
phosphor and then recycle the materials.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy Inscribed thus:

On Mar 18, 5:38Â*am, baron wrote:
Mike Tomlinson Inscribed thus:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up
in his white van to take them away? Â*The company I work for has
just got rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? Â*The tube
has all sorts of toxic nasties in it.

If they are anything like our disposal people they get crushed and
the glass gets recycled. Â*All the metal is recovered and recycled
too.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

"..they all get crushed.." and we all know how painful that can be.

Yes very painful...

Actually a guy who used to work at the crushing mill lives round the
corner from me. He got trapped by one of the three crusher balls and
lost both his legs.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 18, 2:54*pm, Baron wrote:
Robert Macy Inscribed thus:

On Mar 18, 5:38*am, baron wrote:
[...]

Horrible. My apologies.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:38:15 -0000, Daniel James
wrote:

In article , Chris Whelan wrote:
What's to recycle?

Quite a lot of glass, for one thing.

A former colleague told me of an interesting experience he'd had in a
former life (job) getting rid of a decommissioned mainframe. He had all
sorts of quotes from people wanting to charge him for disposing of the
kit, and a local scrap dealer offering to /pay/ him for it. It turned
out that mainframes of that age had enough gold in their contacts for
it to be worth recovering it (by dissolving it in cyanide, I gather --
don't stand downwind!). The cabinets would have been good for scrap
metal, the rest was probably landfill.

There's a garden near here which has an imitation Stonehenge made of
mainframe cases

True about the gold, and the monitors going overseas for "recycling"

When a private school near where I used to live replaced its computers
they piled the old ones up in the garden and had a bonfire. You could
smell it for miles.

Do NOT try this at home
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Mar 17, 11:23*pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? *The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? *The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

--
(\__/) *
(='.'=) *Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
(")_(") *http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

Pretty much everything can be salvage from most electronics, if you do
it correctly.

Plastic can be reground and reused
So can glass
Some chips and expensive components are extracted and reused
Components containing high amounts of precious metals or pure metals
are removed for separate recycling
Remaining boards and components can usually be ground up to remove
remaining metals through various processes
Substrate material left after extracting the metals can be remade into
all sorts of stuff
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

You'd think that, given the high prices of gold and copper, it would be
profitable to recycle monitors.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

You'd think that, given the high prices of gold and copper, it would be
profitable to recycle monitors.

Labor cost is probably the reason.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You'd think that, given the high prices of gold and copper,
it would be profitable to recycle monitors.

Labor cost is probably the reason.

Well, we've seen a lot of electronic equipment shipped off to third-world
countries for recycling.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

You'd think that, given the high prices of gold and copper,
it would be profitable to recycle monitors.

Labor cost is probably the reason.

Well, we've seen a lot of electronic equipment shipped off to third-world
countries for recycling.

yes,but then you add handling and shipping costs....

Heh,some folks would bitch about us exporting our pollution and wastes to
poor nations...

my county has a recycle program for used electronics;
http://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/envs...lectronics.asp

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

Hi!

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill?

They can be recycled.

Hewlett Packard once had a section of their web site devoted to a tour
of their recycling facility. In it, they showed people dismantling
laptops and other things.

The details are fuzzy in my memory, but they shredded and ground
circuit boards (with components) into a fine substance that was
screened to split it out. Plastics were smelted. I don't know what
happened to CRT and other glass.

William
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

Hi!

If you put your CRT monitor under your pillow the CRT Fairy will
take it and leave a shiny new penny.

I was hoping for a shiny new flat panel, ya know?

I didn't sleep well and all I got was a crick in my neck and a
headache. g

William
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy Inscribed thus:

On Mar 18, 2:54Â*pm, Baron wrote:
Robert Macy Inscribed thus:

On Mar 18, 5:38Â*am, baron
wrote:
Mike Tomlinson Inscribed thus:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns
up in his white van to take them away? Â*The company I work for
has just got rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? Â*The tube
has all sorts of toxic nasties in it.

If they are anything like our disposal people they get crushed and
the glass gets recycled. Â*All the metal is recovered and recycled
too.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

"..they all get crushed.." and we all know how painful that can be.

Yes very painful...

Actually a guy who used to work at the crushing mill lives round the
corner from me. Â*He got trapped by one of the three crusher balls and
lost both his legs.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Horrible. My apologies.

No apology needed. The guy freely admits that it was his own fault for
not making sure the machine was isolated and made safe before working
on it.

Just to give you an idea of the guys nature, he has a pair of prosthetic
legs that are hollow at the bottom, he hides his girlfriend's weed in
them. His standing joke is "I've weed in my legs" !

He's a really nice guy.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:23:32 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

What's to recycle?

Chris

What I'd like to konw about is this story of lead and it poisoning the
earth. I thought 99% of the lead waa mixed with the glass in the
front of the CRT and the only part that could leach out is a small
part along the surface. So what's the danger?

Lead in the ground is not a problem (I mean, that's where is comes from!)
It is however a problem in waterways.
I was advised of this whilst discussing the amount of lead I was
blasting into the countryside last time I went shooting (shotgun/clays).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

wrote:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

They get sent to CRT Heaven (seriously).
http://www.crtheaven.com
http://www.andelaproducts.com/products/crt.html
http://www.mmhrecsys.co.uk/crt_recycling/
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/290431256/Spent_TV_Monitor_CRT_Recycling_Equipment.html
http://www.bts-recycling-equipment.com/produkte/produkte.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHSp1dL6L-o&feature=related
The recycling machinery biz is big biz.

There are several videos on YouTube showing the process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8VfcmKDLiw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPx09iB7R04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfWhfa0PbkU

Hmmm... my e-Waste photos are getting a bit old:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/e-waste/

Our government is here to help:
http://www.epa.gov/osw/hazard/recycling/electron/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

In article , Jeff Liebermann
writes

[loadsa links]

Thanks Jeff. The CRT Angel (self-contained CRT recycling unit) was
especially interesting.

This is how to deal with a balky PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjHOUonZO6U&NR=1

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
(")_(") http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 06:41:02 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

In article , Jeff Liebermann
writes

[loadsa links]

Thanks Jeff. The CRT Angel (self-contained CRT recycling unit) was
especially interesting.

This is how to deal with a balky PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjHOUonZO6U&NR=1

Impressive!

Hang on there are some metal bits left over, this is how to deal with
them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMtgh2cwSrg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:31:10 +0000
Albert Ross wrote:

Hang on there are some metal bits left over, this is how to deal with
them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMtgh2cwSrg

I think this one is running a bit better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnnvH5_Y0Eo&NR=1

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

California spent a bundle of the smoking tax money on
commercials instead of the health care they promised the
money would be spent on. One of the funnier ones asked
the tobacco companies how they covered up evidence of
wrong doing. "You know, those office shredders just aren't
up to the task of shredding thousands of documents."

Then proceeded to throw laptops, PC desk tops and finally
a complete 4-drawer filing cabinet through truck mounted
wood chipper.

Was quite the fun thing to watch even if it was fake. ;-)

Jeff

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:58:33 -0500, Jeffrey D Angus
wrote:

Then proceeded to throw laptops, PC desk tops and finally
a complete 4-drawer filing cabinet through truck mounted
wood chipper.

About 20 years ago, the landlord in my office building was running an
office cleaning company[1] with a paper shredder sideline. The paper
shredder was about the size of a large dumpster. Every day, a pickup
truck load of paper would arrive and get fed to the hungry monster,
producing mountains of confetti and dust. Dust and debris would also
fall from the ceiling as my office shook and rattled from the
vibrations. This went on for about 6 months until someone
accidentally fed it the hand truck used to load the paper. I would
normally expect the shredder to just stop or to disassemble itself,
but that's not what happened. The interlocking teeth froze, the
overload switch failed, which caused the huge motor to rip away from
its mountings, smash through the side of the shredder, smash through a
decorative wood wall, and bounce off the landlords wife's car. That
was followed by a dumpster full of paper confetti initially all over
the parking lot, and later all over the offices, nearby roadway,
neighbors apartments, etc. It took about 3 full days for a crew to
clean up the mess. Sorry, but I was gone and didn't take any photos.
A few weeks later, the landlord sold the shredding business to someone
else, who still run it out of an industrial park today.

[1] My office was required to have the curtains closed because it
created a bad impression for the office cleaning service.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

wrote:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

Domestic CRTs get put in wheelie bin and go to landfill.

Same as all those ECO friendly bulbs that contain mercury.

OK a few do get taken to the tip. CRTs/electronics go in a container.
They have a sealed "coffin" with a tube sized airlock for tubes. The
last time I took some they seemed quite surprised, I think most people
just break them to fit the wheelie bin. I'm about to see they how get
on with 3 ECO bulbs. I've got 2 5ft tubes, a car battery, 10L engine
oil, 3 oil filters, 2 14" CRTs, 1L brake fluid to go too, bet I have
to sign for every item in triplicate due to toxic nature of them.

Industry has larger batch volume, hard to hide, more likely to be
traced to source and the penalties make it worth doing the right thing
with them.
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 10:47:02 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

On Mar 18, 1:38*am, Daniel James wrote:
In article , Chris Whelan wrote:
What's to recycle?

Quite a lot of glass, for one thing.

A former colleague told me of an interesting experience he'd had in a
former life (job) getting rid of a decommissioned mainframe. He had all
sorts of quotes from people wanting to charge him for disposing of the
kit, and a local scrap dealer offering to /pay/ him for it. It turned
out that mainframes of that age had enough gold in their contacts for
it to be worth recovering it (by dissolving it in cyanide, I gather --
don't stand downwind!). The cabinets would have been good for scrap
metal, the rest was probably landfill.

Cheers,
*Daniel.

the Zilog Development system has over $320 of gold in it.

What?? Tell me more, I've not found it.

MCZ-1/05, MCZ-1/20?
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header
Can of worms - what every fisherman wants.
Can of worms - what every PC owner gets!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.comp.homebuilt

wrote:

What happens to old CRT monitors when the PC disposal man turns up in
his white van to take them away? The company I work for has just got
rid of a huge quantity of monitors.

Surely they do get recycled somehow or is it landfill? The tube has all
sorts of toxic nasties in it.

Domestic CRTs get put in wheelie bin and go to landfill.

Same as all those ECO friendly bulbs that contain mercury.

That's just ignorant fools doing it wrong. Big surprise.

Our wheelie bins have stickers on with a whole bunch of "Don't put
these things in here - put them in the recycle bin or take them down
your local recycler".

OK a few do get taken to the tip. CRTs/electronics go in a container.
They have a sealed "coffin" with a tube sized airlock for tubes. The
last time I took some they seemed quite surprised, I think most people
just break them to fit the wheelie bin. I'm about to see they how get
on with 3 ECO bulbs. I've got 2 5ft tubes, a car battery, 10L engine
oil, 3 oil filters, 2 14" CRTs, 1L brake fluid to go too, bet I have
to sign for every item in triplicate due to toxic nature of them.

Our local tip has a half-container that's always fairly full of TVs
and monitors, a half-container that's always fairly full of random
electronics (mostly PCs and stereos), and a sort of enclosed skip
affair for fluoro lamp tubes large and small. Plus a lovely greasy
used engine oil thing.

It doesn't have anywhere specific for oil filters or brake fluid, as
far as I know, but I've never had to recycle those.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
There are no normal people--only people you don't know very much about.
-- Nancy Lebovitz, rasfw