Selva

Default About Laptop Monitors

I'm planning to buy a Laptop.
Most of the monitor while seeing movies, when i view from some angle
other than straight angle, i see the movie like a negative. I dont see
it properly. Im looking for a laptop display in which we can from any
angle.

I like DELL laptops and the only reason im not going for it is the
monitor. What is this parameter called? Please give me some input on
this.

Thanks,
Selva

James Sweet

Selva wrote:
I'm planning to buy a Laptop.
Most of the monitor while seeing movies, when i view from some angle
other than straight angle, i see the movie like a negative. I dont see
it properly. Im looking for a laptop display in which we can from any
angle.

I like DELL laptops and the only reason im not going for it is the
monitor. What is this parameter called? Please give me some input on
this.

Thanks,
Selva

Viewing angle, and it's an intrinsic fault with LCD displays, some are a
bit better than others, but none will look as good from the side as they
do straight on. It's the price to pay for a flat, low power display with
current technology.
mike

Selva wrote:
I'm planning to buy a Laptop.
Most of the monitor while seeing movies, when i view from some angle
other than straight angle, i see the movie like a negative. I dont see
it properly. Im looking for a laptop display in which we can from any
angle.

I like DELL laptops and the only reason im not going for it is the
monitor. What is this parameter called? Please give me some input on
this.

Thanks,
Selva

It's called viewing angle.
And there are two of them.
There is a horizontal angle that's symmetrical.

The vertical viewing angle is smaller and optimized for
viewing from ABOVE or BELOW. It's called six-o'clock
or 12-o'clock viewing position. You get either, not both.
A TFT will be much better than a DSTN display off angle.
And TFT technology as gotten much better in recent years.

If you do the research, you'll find that there's a standard
way of setting up the measurement, but that interpretation varies
widely. It's like the TV commercial that claims their shampoo
will give you 2X the highlights. What the heck does that mean???
It means marketing people are smart and buyers are gullible.

Don't blame it on DELL. They use different vendor's displays in
different models. It's not unusual to find different displays
in the SAME model. You don't normally see viewing angle specs
on consumer products. And if you did, they'd probably all have
about the same numbers...but some might have 2X the highlights in
the marketing info...

'Bout the only way to tell if you're gonna like the looks of the display
is to look at the display.
mike

--
Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

James Sweet

The vertical viewing angle is smaller and optimized for
viewing from ABOVE or BELOW. It's called six-o'clock
or 12-o'clock viewing position. You get either, not both.
A TFT will be much better than a DSTN display off angle.
And TFT technology as gotten much better in recent years.

Do they even make DSTN displays for laptops anymore? I've got a couple
of fairly low end machines that are TFT.

MiTAC 3026E Laptop Can't make it on Thaqalain Electronics Repair 23 September 13th 05 12:10 AM
Software fix for cracked Laptop LCD. mike Electronics Repair 0 March 22nd 05 04:35 AM
Laptop won't turn on Peter Allen Electronics Repair 15 December 8th 04 04:39 PM
HD foam for laptop case? T i m UK diy 42 April 23rd 04 02:59 PM
Has my laptop broken my TV Jerry Greenberg Electronics Repair 3 August 28th 03 07:04 AM