Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Roberts R303

This is probably one for Arfa.

An old friend asked me to take a look at his Roberts Radio R303, I`d
usually say no, but, well you know how it is!.
It's not oscillating, I imagine it's the old AF114 promble, shouldn't be
too much trouble to mend, but how the hell does one get the chassis out
of the case?
The only way seems to be to take out the battery cradle and speaker,
which looks difficult with the circuit board in the way, or am I missing
something?

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron wrote in message
This is probably one for Arfa.

An old friend asked me to take a look at his Roberts Radio R303, I`d
usually say no, but, well you know how it is!.
It's not oscillating, I imagine it's the old AF114 promble, shouldn't be
too much trouble to mend, but how the hell does one get the chassis out
of the case?
The only way seems to be to take out the battery cradle and speaker,
which looks difficult with the circuit board in the way, or am I missing
something?

Ron

Perhaps one of the first solid state repair "fixes". If a 4 pin can, cut the
pin connected to the can. Nothing to loose , can always resolder if
something else. Never did find the reason fo rthe internal short,
metalisation creep?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
This is probably one for Arfa.

An old friend asked me to take a look at his Roberts Radio R303, I`d
usually say no, but, well you know how it is!.
It's not oscillating, I imagine it's the old AF114 promble, shouldn't be
too much trouble to mend, but how the hell does one get the chassis out of
the case?
The only way seems to be to take out the battery cradle and speaker, which
looks difficult with the circuit board in the way, or am I missing
something?

Ron

Hi Ron

What Mr Cook says below on the problem and its 'fix'. I actually used to
'blast' the internal short off the transistor, by momentarily shorting the
transistor base to collector :-) ...

On getting the chassis out, is it by any chance one of the ones where the
top part is secured into the case by screws at either side, which are also
the handle pivots ? If so, the handle clips off on spring-loaded 'keyholes'
and then the pivot pins revealed have a screwdriver slot in them. Once
removed. the radio withdraws from the top. Could be thinking of an entirely
different model of course. Old grey matter is not what it once was ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On 13/02/2010 13:24, Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks arfa, I`m aware of the AF114 internal shorts, even way back in
the late 60`s it was happening, sometimes flicking them with a finger
nail would get them fired up again, temporarily at least. I used to snip
the screen wire.

The top of this radio seems to be glued to the case, the handle is
fastened on with spire clips directly to the wood, the chassis is held
in by two thin plywood strips in grooves, removing these allows the
chassis to slide backwards (downwards) but obviously the speaker is in
the way, the lower nuts holding the speaker in are somewhat inaccessible
with the chassis in the way.

Ron

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

from 67 Newnes
loosen battery bracket
remove speaker
remove woodscrews on chassis sides
slide chasis out

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote in message
[...]

Aye thanks for that, Having a feel around with a finger (ooer missis) I
realised that the speaker only has two nuts at the outer edge, so it
shouldn't be a bad job

Ron

Roberts Sealer Jimmy Woodworking 2 August 4th 08 08:52 AM
Rex Roberts Veteran Home Ownership 0 January 21st 08 04:44 PM
Roberts 770X-Akai M6,M7,M8,1800SD drive motor-large 120 volt AC-$35 Dwight D. Eisenhower Electronics Repair 0 December 11th 07 12:47 PM
phillips vs. roberts Soup Nazi Home Repair 10 August 18th 06 06:49 PM
OT - Moving On: Roberts Cliff Metalworking 4 July 22nd 05 09:26 PM