Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default splitters with DC pass through, and dbs

Do splitters with DC pass-through have the same signal loss as those
without.

I've found vague things on the web and just now I found some RCA brand
splitters that said nothign about decibels anyhow. (A lot of splitters
say nothing, but RCA!?)

I would only be using one, but if necessary, I can plug the
powersupply in in the attic and use no such splitter.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Feb 3, 5:20*pm, mm wrote:
Do splitters with DC pass-through have the same signal loss as those
without.

I've found vague things on the web and just now I found some RCA brand
splitters that said nothign about decibels anyhow. (A lot of splitters
say nothing, but RCA!?)

I would only be using one, but if necessary, I can plug the
powersupply in in the attic and use no such splitter.

If it is a quality unit, passing DC through should not increase the
losses appreciably.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:

Do splitters with DC pass-through have the same signal loss as those
without.

Insertion loss of a splitter varies somewhat with design factors.
DC pass/block is *not* one of those factors.

http://www.pacificcable.com/Splitter...mplifiers.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 21:36:22 -0800, UCLAN wrote:

mm wrote:

Do splitters with DC pass-through have the same signal loss as those
without.

Insertion loss of a splitter varies somewhat with design factors.
DC pass/block is *not* one of those factors.

http://www.pacificcable.com/Splitter...mplifiers.html

Thank you, and thank you hr bob. That's good to know.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 18:21:00 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Feb 3, 5:20 pm, mm wrote:
Do splitters with DC pass-through have the same signal loss as those
without.

I've found vague things on the web and just now I found some RCA brand
splitters that said nothign about decibels anyhow. (A lot of splitters
say nothing, but RCA!?)

I would only be using one, but if necessary, I can plug the
powersupply in in the attic and use no such splitter.

If it is a quality unit, passing DC through should not increase the
losses appreciably.

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of splitter in bubble-packs
come with milky-clear plastic caps over the threads. Have you notice
that?

This is totally bogus, right?

I've never seen a splitter with a damaged thread, certainly not one
that hadn't been sold yet.

They are shipped from the factory that way. It doesn't take much to
damage the pot metal most splitters are cast from. Drop one and let it
land on one of the ports. There is a good chance that you will bugger
the threads, or crack the casting. Anything bulk shipped without either
cardboard dividers in the tray and soft layers of single corrugated
cardboard or the plastic caps was automatically rejected by the CATV MSO
I worked for. If you toss them into the bins in a installer's truck
without protection, a lot get damaged.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

On Feb 3, 5:20 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

That makes me feel better. Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

They are shipped from the factory that way. It doesn't take much to
damage the pot metal most splitters are cast from. Drop one and let it
land on one of the ports. There is a good chance that you will bugger
the threads, or crack the casting. Anything bulk shipped without either
cardboard dividers in the tray and soft layers of single corrugated
cardboard or the plastic caps was automatically rejected by the CATV MSO
I worked for. If you toss them into the bins in a installer's truck
without protection, a lot get damaged.

That makes me feel better. Thanks.

You're welcome. It was part of my job to test samples from multiple
vendors. The lower quality stuff was usually obvious, before it ever
hit the test equipment.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

VGA Splitters Ron(UK) Electronics Repair 6 January 4th 08 11:21 PM
Aerial Splitters Kev UK diy 0 July 11th 06 11:05 AM
Log splitters Syke UK diy 21 February 21st 06 02:22 AM
3-Way Splitters [email protected] UK diy 4 December 16th 05 12:59 PM
TV Antenna splitters [email protected] Home Repair 15 December 16th 05 02:08 AM