Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default VGA Splitters

I know it`s slightly off topic here, but I find myself with a need to
drive two flat panel monitors from one computer - Simple advertising
display, the screens will be within a couple of metres of each other and
probably three metres from the computer. Does anyone have experience
with passive splitters? will they suffice or do I need to look at active
devices?

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron(UK) wrote:
I know it`s slightly off topic here, but I find myself with a need to
drive two flat panel monitors from one computer - Simple advertising
display, the screens will be within a couple of metres of each other and
probably three metres from the computer. Does anyone have experience
with passive splitters? will they suffice or do I need to look at active
devices?

Ron(UK)

I assume you are talking about analogue VGA and not DVI connection.

With the old monitors that had seperate BNC connectors you could switch
off the built-in 75ohm termination on all but the last one and daisy
chain them with T-pieces. Generally you cannot do this with modern
monitors on HD15 connections. Using a passive split would probably
degrade the output noticably.

I just had the CPC mailing through the door today - they have active 2
way splitters for £17.98 plus VAT, order code CS0798401.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim Phipps wrote:
Ron(UK) wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that, yes I mean standard computer monitors. Output doesn't
have to be perfect, it`s just some advertising. I haven't had my weeky
fix from CPC yet, some closet reading to look forward to.

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron(UK)" wrote in message
Thanks for that, yes I mean standard computer monitors. Output doesn't
have to be perfect, it`s just some advertising. I haven't had my weeky fix
from CPC yet, some closet reading to look forward to.

Ron(UK)

There's loads of graphics cards with dual outputs now for very little money.
The ones with seperate VGA and DVI sockets often come with an adapter so you
can access the analogue VGA on the DVI socket for dual monitor use.

Morse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron(UK) wrote:
I know it`s slightly off topic here, but I find myself with a need to
drive two flat panel monitors from one computer - Simple advertising
display, the screens will be within a couple of metres of each other and
probably three metres from the computer. Does anyone have experience
with passive splitters? will they suffice or do I need to look at active
devices?

Ron(UK)

I've not had much difficulty with just y'ing the outputs in non-critical
apps, but YMMV.

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:
Ron(UK) wrote:
I know it`s slightly off topic here, but I find myself with a need to
drive two flat panel monitors from one computer - Simple advertising
display, the screens will be within a couple of metres of each other
and probably three metres from the computer. Does anyone have
experience with passive splitters? will they suffice or do I need to
look at active devices?

Ron(UK)

I've not had much difficulty with just y'ing the outputs in non-critical
apps, but YMMV.

jak

Cheers jak, that`s what I`m hoping will happen, It`s a temporary set up,
no chance of swapping video cards or anything like that. I guess I`ll
have to just suck it and see.

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ron(UK) wrote:
jakdedert wrote:
Ron(UK) wrote:
I know it`s slightly off topic here, but I find myself with a need
to drive two flat panel monitors from one computer - Simple
advertising display, the screens will be within a couple of metres of
each other and probably three metres from the computer. Does anyone
have experience with passive splitters? will they suffice or do I
need to look at active devices?

Ron(UK)

I've not had much difficulty with just y'ing the outputs in
non-critical apps, but YMMV.

jak

Cheers jak, that`s what I`m hoping will happen, It`s a temporary set up,
no chance of swapping video cards or anything like that. I guess I`ll
have to just suck it and see.

Ron(UK)

You may be lucky with the short distance involved. There seem to be
plenty of cheap y cables on sale. Personally, if it is a favour for a
friend I'd try the y-split but if it's a paying job just price in the
cost of an active splitter.

Aerial Splitters Kev UK diy 0 July 11th 06 11:05 AM
Log splitters Syke UK diy 21 February 21st 06 02:22 AM
3-Way Splitters [email protected] UK diy 4 December 16th 05 12:59 PM
TV Antenna splitters [email protected] Home Repair 15 December 16th 05 02:08 AM
Are nut splitters any good? Christopher Tidy Metalworking 24 August 15th 05 12:25 AM