Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dan Litov: Wondering whether people are getting replies

Dan L wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to the group and wondering if people get useful replies to
their posts?

Thanks,
Dan Litov

RFC 1855, Section 3, Paragraph 1 states:

- Read both mailing lists and newsgroups for one to two
months before you post anything. This helps you to
get an understanding of the culture of the group.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 16:56:08 -0800 (PST), Dan L
wrote:

I'm new to the group and wondering if people get useful replies to
their posts?
Thanks,
Dan Litov

Sometimes useful, but often not very useful. One line answers tend to
be a waste of time. There are also many replies that do not follow
the orthodoxy. I try to provide more understanding than solutions.
Whether that's useful to you is dependent on how much subsequent
reading and tinkering you perform.

However, it really depends on the questions. If the question shows
that you haven't made the slightest effort to understand the problem,
explain what you're trying to accomplish, and disclose what you're
doing, you'll receive more abuse than information.

In general, the basic requirements for asking a good question a
1. What are you trying to accomplish? A one line description is
fine.
2. What do you have to work with? Maker, model, version, system
description, topology, and any other NUMBERS that might be useful.
3. What have you done so far and what happened?

There's always more that can be included, but those are the basics.

Best-o-luck with your repairs and welcome to sci.electronics.repair.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to the group and wondering if people get useful replies to
their posts?

In addition to following Jeff's good advice WRT specific questions, you
may also want to check out the Repair FAQ maintained by Sam Goldwasser
over at http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/ Lots of good info.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dan L wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to the group and wondering if people get useful replies to
their posts?

Thanks,
Dan Litov

Not if you keep posting SPAM to USENET you're not.

Just curious as to why you keep posting the same question to multiple
newsgroups with your full name in the subject line?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 22:15:28 +0000, Malissa Baldwin
wrote:

RFC 1855, Section 3, Paragraph 1 states:
- Read both mailing lists and newsgroups for one to two
months before you post anything. This helps you to
get an understanding of the culture of the group.

Good advice in the bad old days, where Usenet server retention was a
few days, there were no archive sites, and mailing lists didn't
archive their postings. One had to read for several months to get a
clue what the list was about, how the protocol works, and who were the
luminaries and idiots. These daze, Google Groups, some web sites, and
most mailing lists, have many months of archived postings. It's easy
enough to go back and read a months worth of old postings.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 6, 6:56*pm, Dan L wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to the group and wondering if people get useful replies to
their posts?

Thanks,
Dan Litov

The more info you provide, the better the answers you will receive.
Jeff Liebermann is one of the more polite and useful posters, you can
assume that anything he posts is right on the money. He doesn't BS
you if he is not sure of something.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

RFC 1855, Section 3, Paragraph 1 states:
- Read both mailing lists and newsgroups for one to two
months before you post anything. This helps you to
get an understanding of the culture of the group.

Good advice in the bad old days, where Usenet server retention was a
few days, there were no archive sites, and mailing lists didn't
archive their postings. One had to read for several months to get a
clue what the list was about, how the protocol works, and who were the
luminaries and idiots. These daze, Google Groups, some web sites, and
most mailing lists, have many months of archived postings. It's easy
enough to go back and read a months worth of old postings.

It doesn't matter. Apparently, "Dan" is sending SPAM to several other
newsgroups and Google groups.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 10:00:05 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

The more info you provide, the better the answers you will receive.

Well, to a point. Don't dump your life's history or nobody is going
to read it. Personally, I like numbers. The more numbers, the
better. The rest of the stuff is interesting, but not very useful.

Another problem with long rambling postings is that they're an open
invitation to the most dreaded disease found on Usenet... topic drift.
Mention anything controversial or argumentative, and the topic will
immediately change from your original question or problem, into the
quagmire of rhetorical debate. This should be sufficient incentive to
keep original questions very close to the desired topic. (Of course,
I'm one of the guilty parties that creates and enjoys topic drift, but
don't tell anyone).

Jeff Liebermann is one of the more polite and useful posters, you can
assume that anything he posts is right on the money. He doesn't BS
you if he is not sure of something.

Thank you but me polite? Surely you jest. You should see some of the
hate mail I've received from people I allegedly insulted, humiliated,
or uncovered. I recall one long email for daring to go over someones
abilities by suggesting they run some rather simple equations and
calculations. About one hate message every 2 weeks is my running
average. The hate mail has decreased recently since I've been
painfully practicing diplomacy and tact but should resume normally
after I recover.

As for my accuracy, I really wish I were prefect. I make enough
mistakes to reassure myself that I'm still human. When I do make a
mistake, I go away and sulk. After a day or so of reflection, I jump
back in with both feet. I may not BS, bluster, or offer useless
answers, but I do make mistakes. You get what you pay for from me.

Where I get into trouble is when I try to explain how something works
(or doesn't work). The answer are often easy to find. Google can do
that. The explanations, background info, and anecdotal evidence are
more difficult to deliver. I think I do fairly well at this, but
there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Incidentally, one of the problems with asking for solutions and advice
on Usenet is that there's no consensus. It's like asking advice from
an attorney or doctor. You never get a single right answer. Instead,
you get a variety of options, among which you get to choose the best.
If you guess wrong, it's your fault, not the doctors or lawyers.

Now, back to fighting a losing battle with Quickbooks and my billing.

# 831-336-2558
#
http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 17:27:53 +0000, Stephany Alexander
wrote:

Dan L wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to the group and wondering if people get useful replies to
their posts?

Thanks,
Dan Litov

Not if you keep posting SPAM to USENET you're not.

Just curious as to why you keep posting the same question to multiple
newsgroups with your full name in the subject line?

He longs for fame...