Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

Default Two phases to house - loss of neutral

I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

Sylvia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:
I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I suspect it is really "single phase" (think: center tapped
transformer) -- though in Oz they probably do things differently! :

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

"Large" is a relative term. Homes are typically wired to
try to distribute the loads roughly equally on the two
legs. And, REALLY BIG loads (e.g., air conditioner compressor)
tend to straddle *both*.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

"Luck"? But, in theory, he is wrong.

The more significant issue is *how* you would lose neutral.
Here (US), your house is tied to *earth* at the main panel.
And, neutral is similarly tied to earth. So, you would
have to lose the neutral feed from the utility *and* the
earth at your house.

This has happened to two neighbors in the past 10 years,
though. I think in both cases it was caused by a cable
actually failing (corrosion). In one case, the folks
sharing his distribution transformer (typically four homes
to a transformer) lost power when the incoming power was
effectively *shorted* to ground, (I don't know what the
distribution transformers are fused at but it was enough
to set some adjacent utilities -- below grade -- on fire)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

D Yuniskis wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

I imagine that's the case in terms of large potential loads, but if I
think about what's actually running in my house at the moment, apart
from a couple of lights, it'd be the refrigerator and my computers. I
don't know whether they're on difference phases, but if they are they'd
represent significantly different loads.

Sylvia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

On Nov 24, 10:10 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

Sylvia.

You are both right and wrong as in the absence of Neutral line, a lot
of the neutral current (imbalance) would probably flow via your earth
stake back to the transformer neutral or to a neighbours neutral via
their earth stake and while its not a perfect situation, imbalance
probably would not be as bad as you might think ?

Of course, if there is a long run through earth (terra firma) back to
the nearest neutral, the soil is really dry, the earth stake is sub-
standard etc etc it might not work very well.

Years and years back I once saw the result of this at a 3 phase
installation at a carnival, we were called out to fix

They would have with them, and take from site to site portable fuse
boxes with a 3 phase plug, going to a box with breakers feeding rows
of power points going to each phase (like in a normal building
installation, but portable). They would plug in all their gear to
these sockets, and plug the 3 phase into the 3 phase sockets provided
at the venues.

Of course, a lot of the carnival workers would probably just plug
things in at random, and who knows what load would be on the end of
each lead. There could also be very large numbers of flashing lights
on one lead too, so the load would be less than perfect, and surely
not anywhere near balanced or stable

One case, the neutral lead broke off. On one phase there was a lot of
damage to computer gear / arcade games (same sort of thing -
switchmode power supplies) etc. Some was just blown fuses, some
worse.
Note, they didn't have the earth and neutral bonded inside the box,
and didn't have a separate earth stake, where in a home fuse box they
would.

2 phase situation like yours would be a similar result, unless the
load was really well balanced, and consisting of mostly NON-switchmode
power supply type devices. The phase with the lowest load would
suffer overvoltage.

This load imbalance and voltage difference would change all the time
as various appliances automatically switch off and on, like fridges,
air cons, electric HWS etc. Light bulbs may blow from overvoltage,
this would also change the balance

Try connecting 12v bulbs of different wattages in series across 24v
and see what happens. The voltage will not be the same across each.
Much the same thing.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

"Stupider than Anyone Else"

I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two sets
are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a large
overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

** Loss of the neutral conductor in a 3 phase ( or 2 phase) AC supply system
can easily be a DISASTROUS event.

For example:

In the live entertainment productions - high powered lighting and sound
systems operate from 3 phase outlets via a hefty 5 pin plug and socket. If,
due to wear and tear or damage to the plug or socket, one of the phases
drops out - that is an annoyance but not a disaster.

However, if the pin carrying the neutral fails to connect or as is often the
case *disconnects* during a show because of overheating - ALL HELL
BREAKS LOOSE !!

Typically, some of the lamps will glow very brightly for a second or two and
fail, then other previously dim lamps will follow suit. The AC fuses in
amplifiers will pop instantly and some equipment will be seriously damaged
when the PSU sections are destroyed. It all happens in a few seconds, while
the operators stand there with their mouths open !!!

The MEN system:

In Australia, AC power delivery uses a system called " Multiple Earth
Neutral " - which requires that the neutral conductors in a premises be
connected to the plumbing system at the distribution board (ie power box).
It also requires that an earth stake be installed for the same purpose, but
some older premises may not have this.

Because EVERY premises has MEN installed, the ground itself and underground
metal plumbing act as an alternative neutral, should the supply conductor
feeding a given premises fail. The disastrous event sometimes experienced in
live entertainment systems is hardly possible in domestic or commercial
premises.

So the sparky is right.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:
D Yuniskis wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

Exactly. And, those loads *change*. So, when the refrigerator's
compressor kicks off, *that* load is gone (here, refrigerator
sits between one leg and neutral; yours may straddle both legs?)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

Phil Allison wrote:
"Stupider than Anyone Else"

[...]

If as you say, neutral has to be tied to Earth at the premises, then I
can indeed see that the situation might not be so bad.

On the face of it, having significant current flowing from neutral to
Earth would have to indicate a fault. It would be nice for the breakers
to trip in such a situation, but I can't see that they will.

Sylvia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:
I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

Sylvia.

I had exactly this happening two years ago.
My supply has 3 phases and I lost part of the neutral connectivity through
corrosion on the terminal coming in from the power pole.

The result was a brown out on some and over voltage on other phases. In top of
this I got a tingling zapping in the shower.

I guess, depending on the quality of the earth rod, this can be a pretty bad
situation. Where will the returning current go if there is no neutral? Through a
different phase I guess. Neutral will have a more or less floating potential.

Tony
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
The MEN system:

In Australia, AC power delivery uses a system called " Multiple Earth
Neutral " - which requires that the neutral conductors in a premises
be connected to the plumbing system at the distribution board (ie
power box). It also requires that an earth stake be installed for the
same purpose, but some older premises may not have this.

If as you say, neutral has to be tied to Earth at the premises, then I
can indeed see that the situation might not be so bad.

Grounding the mains to "plumbing" *was* common in the US many
years ago. Now, I believe, you *must* ground to a metal
rod driven into the earth (8 ft?). Note that if the water
meter was removed, your earth-through-plumbing would fail.

On the face of it, having significant current flowing from neutral to
Earth would have to indicate a fault. It would be nice for the breakers
to trip in such a situation, but I can't see that they will.

This is how GFCI breakers work -- they watch for current "leaking"
off to ground someplace other than in the "return" conductor.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

D Yuniskis wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
[...]

In the scenario I outlined, the currents in the live and neutral
conductors passing through the breakers would remain equal, so they
wouldn't trip.

What I need is something to detect current through the link between
neutral and ground, which would then disconnect both phases. Of course,
it could trip as the result of a fault with the neigbour's neutral wire,
but I could live with that.

Sylvia.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

D Yuniskis wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:

Grounding the mains to "plumbing" *was* common in the US many
years ago. Now, I believe, you *must* ground to a metal
rod driven into the earth (8 ft?). Note that if the water
meter was removed, your earth-through-plumbing would fail.

This is how GFCI breakers work -- they watch for current "leaking"
off to ground someplace other than in the "return" conductor.

In this case the GFCI (or RCD in AU) will not trip as the current through the
load is the same going in and out. I have RCDs on all 3 phases and none of them
tripped.

Tony
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

Phil Allison wrote:
"Stupider than Anyone Else"

[...]

.... Phil

I recently had such an event happen at a theater. It was county fair
season and the vendor was scrapping the bottom of the barrel for gear.
It was an old distro, with a Yamaha 3500 FOH, with an effects racks.

About 2 hours before house, everything was working when i heard the
system crackling. I looked over at FOH and the lights were flashing.
Then smoke started coming out of the effects rack. I ran to the stage
to shut off power amps and shut everything down.

It was split phase going to FOH. Measured 220 between the hots, and
nothing to neutral. Somewhere, the neutral was lost. Checked the
connector on stage and changed the plugged slot on the distro.

At that point, power came back the way it should. BUT, the effects rack
was still smoking due to fried MOV's in the Furman plug strip.
And all the Drawmer compressors were DOA. luckily, the Yamaha console
was ok. Did the show with a few less toys.

bob
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:

I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

It's a huge issue.

It has happened twice, at my house. In both cases, a squirrel had
chewed through the neutral wire (they apparently like to sharpen /
exercise their teeth on the rubbery insulation).

The symptoms were much as you suggest. Voltage goes wonky, with the
voltage being fed to each phase being dependent on the various loads
connected to both phases. Voltages at the high-amperage appliances
can drop (and this can result in burned-out motors) while voltages on
the opposite phase can spike upwards (burning out incandescent lights,
damaging other appliances through over-voltage). Worst case would be
a heavy load on one phase, and only very light loads on the other
phase... the lightly loaded side could jump up to almost double
voltage.

The oddest symptom we noticed was that when a heavy load switched on
(e.g. refrigerator or microwave), room lights would suddenly
brighten... just the opposite of what would normally occur.

Both times this happened, we noticed the weirdness immediately, called
the electric company (PG&E), and they dispatched a service team on a
priority basis.

The dispatcher told me that they consider *any* sort of "high voltage,
low voltage" trouble report to justify an urgent response. She had
understood my use of the phrase "open neutral", and I infer that this
is a not-terribly-unusual situation for them.

After the second time this happened, the PG&E guys decided that our
existing pole-drop was not repairable (it had already been spliced at
least one). They installed a newer, higher-amperage-rated drop (which
might even have had some armoring). The problem hasn't recurred...
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

"Dave Platt"
Sylvia Else

I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

It's a huge issue.

** Sylvia lives in Sydney, Australia and is a MASSIVE TROLL.

Nuts of her the post such a COUNTRY SPECIFIC message to a US newsgroup.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

Sylvia Else wrote:
I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines,
two phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral
line. It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two
phases across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase,
and the other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in
series as a result of their common connection to the neutral wire.
Since the two sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net
result would be a large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

**Not an issue, due to the MEN system used in AUSTRALIA. Cross-posting to an
international group will guarantee a bunch of useless comments. Pay
attention to Australian posters only.

Your electrician is correct.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

Phil Allison wrote:
"Dave Platt"
Sylvia Else

I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

It's a huge issue.

** Sylvia lives in Sydney, Australia and is a MASSIVE TROLL.

Nuts of her the post such a COUNTRY SPECIFIC message to a US newsgroup.

Last time I checked, multiphase power supply was pretty universal, and
the principles to be applied in understanding the consequences of faults
would be the same. Or perhaps you want to argue that the different
voltage in Australia is the deciding factor.

Sylvia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

Trevor Wilson wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

From the replies, the same system applies in the US. But people have
still had problems.

Sylvia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

D Yuniskis wrote:

Sylvia Else wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

Please don't go there, there are many experts that really don't know
how a GFCI is suppose to work.

They thieve on the idea that most units now sold have the arc
detection in them and no longer label arc (AGFCI) detection as part of
the unit,which does not require a ground path, along with it having the
original ground fault system which does require grd path to fault.

Those that have installed these units in outlets that have no ground
in them, there by, allowing the unaware person to become the ground for
it. They think it's ok because just sliding the plug in/out, which
causes those nice little arc's to form, from the appliance load, will
trip it.

And it's obvious, if you don't have a working ground from the
receptacle to the appliance, the GFCI isn't going to work very well when
the appliance starts generating small little intermitting shorts that
would normally trip the device if the ground on the appliance was
present to unbalance the common mode device in the GFCI, with out taking
out a human in the process.

Devices like lamp cords, that normally do not have a grd terminal, are
excepted because, the arc detection will actually trip, some times. They
have to be rather large ones before they work, and other times, things
like high powered radio's going by, will false trip them.. That's what
you get for trying to accommodate those that don't want to do it
correctly. This problem is also prevalent in AF-breakers and code allows
variance to accommodate for life saving equipment and the like.

I just love it when the building inspectors use their U-ground testers
on GFCI's that have no working ground at the receptacle to find it not
tripping when they hit that GF test. It brings a smile to my face..

Have a good day..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

Sylvia Else wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

From the replies, the same system applies in the US. But people have
still had problems.

**AFAIK, the US system is fundamentally different to ours.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

"Stupider than Anyone Else Alive "

** Sylvia lives in Sydney, Australia and is a MASSIVE TROLL.

Nuts of her the post such a COUNTRY SPECIFIC message to a US newsgroup.

Last time I checked, multiphase power supply was pretty universal, and the
principles to be applied in understanding the consequences of faults would
be the same.

** 100 % WRONG !!!

The question this insane bitch posted IS country SPECIFIC !!!

Cos it was about her house in * Sydney, Australia *.

See Trevor Wilson's reply.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:

D Yuniskis wrote:

Sylvia Else wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

You need to pass the live and neutral through a common mode
transformer. when one leg gets shorted to ground, it unbalances.
You wrap another winding in that coil which will then produce some
current for you to trigger a protection device. The current will only
be present when the common mode becomes unbalanced due to them
canceling each other out under normal operation.

This will accommodate for both legs.

have a good day..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

"Stupider than Anyone Else on Earth "

Trevor Wilson wrote:

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

**Not an issue, due to the MEN system used in AUSTRALIA. Cross-posting to
an international group will guarantee a bunch of useless comments. Pay
attention to Australian posters only.

Your electrician is correct.

From the replies, the same system applies in the US.

** Wot INSANE ****ING CRAPOLOGY !!

The only relevant reply from the US so far indicates the DIRECT OPPOSITE .

**** off - TROLLING BITCH.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

On Nov 24, 12:16 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
"Dave Platt"
Sylvia Else

[...]

From what I can gather, pretty much every home in the US has a 120v -
0 - 120v system where the 2x 120v's are 180 degrees out of phase.
Between the 2 phases 240v is available for stoves, air conditioners
etc.

In Australia, most separate homes have a straight single phase 240v
supply, its not common for there to be 2,3 separate phases to the
average house. Therefore the scenario Sylvia mentions is less likely
to occur, as not many people have this multi phase system.

The exception here could be blocks of flats, if the main neutral to
the building fails, and there isn't a good earth, the imbalance could
be a risk.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

"Trevor Wilson"

**AFAIK, the US system is fundamentally different to ours.

** In the US and Canada - it is NOT permitted to link neutral and earth
or plumbing within a premises.

See here under the heading "Regulations".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system

The MEN system used here in Australia seems to be unique.

See last para on same page.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

"kreed"

From what I can gather, pretty much every home in the US has a 120v -
0 - 120v system where the 2x 120v's are 180 degrees out of phase.
Between the 2 phases 240v is available for stoves, air conditioners
etc.

In Australia, most separate homes have a straight single phase 240v
supply, its not common for there to be 2,3 separate phases to the
average house. Therefore the scenario Sylvia mentions is less likely
to occur, as not many people have this multi phase system.

The exception here could be blocks of flats, if the main neutral to
the building fails, and there isn't a good earth, the imbalance could
be a risk.

** There is always a good "earth" available - courtesy of the water mains
in the street being linked to neutral at every premises.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

On Nov 24, 10:58 am, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Stupider than Anyone Else"

[...]

The scenario you mention with live entertainment is particularly bad,
as when you think about it, unlike a fixed installation you can't bond
the earth and neutral in these portable 3 phase to 240v outlet mains
boxes. If you did, it would trip any earth leakage breakers upstream
- if these are fitted.

To make matters worse, in live entertainment, the major loads are
almost all amplifiers, and lighting. None of these are stable loads
(amplifiers are changing their load current draw constantly with the
music and lights are being dimmed, flashed often in large groups. )

Therefore if the neutral lead fails, there is no bonding to earth to
back it up, unlike a residence, and with the inherent instabilty of
the load balance , massive damage is guaranteed.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:28:48 +0800, TonyS wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

I had exactly this happening two years ago.
My supply has 3 phases ... -snip-

Oh?? Really?!?!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

Phil Allison wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

**AFAIK, the US system is fundamentally different to ours.

** In the US and Canada - it is NOT permitted to link neutral
and earth or plumbing within a premises.

See here under the heading "Regulations".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system

The MEN system used here in Australia seems to be unique.

See last para on same page.

**Interesting. I'd have thunk that some places in Europe might employ a
similar system. Guess not. Ever since I ran across my first US audio product
with a high value resistor to chassis from (allegedly) Neutral, I realised
that the US system was highly flawed.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

Sylvia.

Sylvia

Thought one. Get rid of the electrician.

In my experience with loss of neutrals it is the number one cause of
electrical equipment/lighting failure.

Bob AZ
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

**AFAIK, the US system is fundamentally different to ours.

** In the US and Canada - it is NOT permitted to link neutral and earth
or plumbing within a premises.

"*within* a premises". The neutral *is* "earthed" right outside
the home, typically. The Code goes to great lengths telling
you exactly *how* to earth the mains at the service entrance.

However, this ignores the fact that most residential wiring
is grandfathered into "acceptance". Previously, homes *were*
grounded through their "water main" (e.g., my parents home
has ground at the water meter).

So, you can encounter all sorts of different situations
here in the US (I've even worked on homes with knob & tube
wiring!)

See here under the heading "Regulations".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system

The MEN system used here in Australia seems to be unique.

See last para on same page.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

Sylvia Else wrote:
I have to phases of power supply to my house - so three power lines, two
phases plus neutral.

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.
It seems to me that we'd then have the voltage between the two phases
across two sets of appliances, one set attached to one phase, and the
other set attached to the other phase, with the two sets in series as a
result of their common connection to the neutral wire. Since the two
sets are unlikely to represent equal loads, the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts?

Sylvia.

not a neutral problem but.
I can remember an old lady complaining that every time she turned the
hot water tap the lights came on half brilliance.and sure enough they did.
she had three phase and an instantaneous three phase water heater.

one phase had gone and the heater caused the dead phase to be live in
series with element.(the water flow closes the heater circuit)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"Stupider than Anyone Else Alive "

** Sylvia lives in Sydney, Australia and is a MASSIVE TROLL.

Nuts of her the post such a COUNTRY SPECIFIC message to a US newsgroup.

Last time I checked, multiphase power supply was pretty universal, and the
principles to be applied in understanding the consequences of faults would
be the same.

** 100 % WRONG !!!

The question this insane bitch posted IS country SPECIFIC !!!

Cos it was about her house in * Sydney, Australia *.

Wow, why all the hostility? A "personal gripe"?

Can I suggest that if you don't want to see posts by a particular
person, you simply add his/her name to your "kill file" (or
whatever Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180 uses for that
feature)?

Speaking solely for myself -- but, perhaps, reflecting the
experiences of many "fellow countrymen" -- I think most Americans
have very little exposure to "other cultures/societies/power
distribution systems/etc : " owing, perhaps, to the large size
of our country and its relative homogeneity. I find it
interesting to hear how things are done "elsewhere" and,
especially, *why*.

("Driving on the PARKWAY and parking in the DRIVEWAY...") ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

On Nov 23, 6:36*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

**AFAIK, the US system is fundamentally different to ours.

** In the US and Canada *- * it is *NOT *permitted to link neutral and earth
or plumbing within a premises.

See here under the heading "Regulations".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system

The MEN system used here in Australia seems to be unique.

See last para on same page.

..... *Phil

Rubbish. In most of Canada, it is manditory that the neutral be bonded
to earth at only ONE point, the service entrance switch enclosure.
From that point an earth conductor is connected to 2 ground rods and
to any metallic piping system(s).
Neutral failure is a not uncommon problem especially with overhead
aluminum 'triplex' service drops. A seagull deficates on the bare
aluminum neutral and it soon rots off leaving an open neutral
condition.
Ground rod to earth resistances of 5 ohms are not uncommon, so a 10A
unbalance between 'phases' could give a 50V offset of the neutral.

Neil S.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

On Nov 23, 6:40*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"kreed"

From what I can gather, pretty much every home in the US has a 120v -
0 - 120v system where the 2x 120v's are 180 degrees out of phase.
Between the 2 phases 240v is available for stoves, air conditioners
etc.

In Australia, most separate homes have a straight single phase 240v
supply, its not common for there to be 2,3 separate phases to the
average house. *Therefore the scenario Sylvia mentions is less likely
to occur, as not many people have this multi phase system.

The exception here could be blocks of flats, if the main neutral to
the building fails, and there isn't a good earth, the imbalance could
be a risk.

** There is always a good "earth" *available *- courtesy of the water mains
in the street being linked to neutral at every premises.

..... *Phil

All new construction [last 30 years] around here uses iron mains with
rubber sealed joints and plastic service pipe into all homes, so there
is NO bond from the house to the main. The Gas main is plastic, as are
the service drops. So, the only earth connection is the rather 'iffy'
pair of 8' ground rods usually in the rain shadow of the roof
overhang.

Neil S.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:10:26 +1100, Sylvia Else wrote:

the net result would be a
large overvoltage on one set of appliances.

It would be across both sets, but......

My electrician says it's not an issue, but I can't see why.

The neutral is actually grounded to the earth for such a case; hence MEN
(Multiple Earth Neutral), so the neutral would actually travel through
the ground to your neighbours earth stake and back into the neutral phase
there.

If the USA Godzilla remake is to be believed, all your earth worms will
come to the surface as an indicator, (or is that only for correct DC
connections?).

If you are worried about such an event happening, dump a bucket of wter
on your earth stake quarterly and encourage your neighbours to do the
same.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

D Yuniskis wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
"Stupider than Anyone Else Alive "

** Sylvia lives in Sydney, Australia and is a MASSIVE TROLL.

Nuts of her the post such a COUNTRY SPECIFIC message to a US
newsgroup.
Last time I checked, multiphase power supply was pretty universal,
and the principles to be applied in understanding the consequences of
faults would be the same.

** 100 % WRONG !!!

The question this insane bitch posted IS country SPECIFIC !!!

Cos it was about her house in * Sydney, Australia *.

Wow, why all the hostility? A "personal gripe"?

Can I suggest that if you don't want to see posts by a particular
person, you simply add his/her name to your "kill file" (or
whatever Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180 uses for that
feature)?

Trouble is, if Phil were to killfile everyone he abuses, he wouldn't
actually see any posts.

Sylvia.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:
D Yuniskis wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
[...]

frown So I guess it's "nothing personal"! ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

I've on occasion wondered what would happen if we lost the neutral line.

(speaking from a 110V perspective as I'm in the US where power is delivered
as 2x110 volt hot leads with one neutral)

The voltage between the two fluctuates wildly, that's what. The more heavily
loaded of the two will have a voltage drop while the lightly loaded one goes
up.

CRT computer monitors get the jitters even when things are relatively
normal. I don't know why this is. Damage can occur to devices when they get
nailed with high voltage.

It won't be a huge issue up to a point for simple devices, or those with
autoranging power supplies that may try to compensate. Everything else will
suffer--motors, transformer type power supplies, etc...and your electrican
*should* know that. A fire could start depending upon how badly something
reacts to the over or under voltage.

William (had it happen here some years ago - one TV and a few surge
protectors got burnt. Curiously, the TV was not completely dead afterwards,
just temperamental about turning on when warm.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics

On Nov 24, 12:40 pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"kreed"

From what I can gather, pretty much every home in the US has a 120v -
0 - 120v system where the 2x 120v's are 180 degrees out of phase.
Between the 2 phases 240v is available for stoves, air conditioners
etc.

In Australia, most separate homes have a straight single phase 240v
supply, its not common for there to be 2,3 separate phases to the
average house. Therefore the scenario Sylvia mentions is less likely
to occur, as not many people have this multi phase system.

The exception here could be blocks of flats, if the main neutral to
the building fails, and there isn't a good earth, the imbalance could
be a risk.

** There is always a good "earth" available - courtesy of the water mains
in the street being linked to neutral at every premises.

..... Phil

That is true in a lot of cases, however I have noticed with a lot of
newer houses, (in QLD anyway) they are using some kind of either black
or grey pvc or poly pipe for home water mains. To make it worse, it
looks to me to be "crimped" together at joins, sometimes with what
look like soft metal rings but not always.

Copper or the old cast iron pipes would provide an excellent Earth,
and excellent soil electrical contact due to the enormous surface area
of the water main in contact with the soil over distance

Mine is all copper, all the way back to the water main, so no problems
here.

Phases? The Medway Handyman UK diy 43 October 29th 07 05:42 PM
Bad neutral on 220VAC from pole to house. Every appliance ruined. [email protected] Home Repair 23 February 22nd 07 05:35 PM
Phases of Redecoration [email protected] UK diy 0 December 13th 06 08:14 PM
4 gauge neutral wire doesn't fit in my neutral bus panel? sparty Home Repair 8 July 22nd 06 01:50 AM
Council planning 8.5m extension to neighbour's house. Can we get recompense for any loss in property value? Trojan Hussar UK diy 21 April 9th 05 07:44 PM