Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Default Fluke DMMs and VFD motor drives

Phil Hobbs wrote:

DaveC wrote:

I would go with the 87 as it seems to be better in just about every
way looking at the specs. It has better accuracy and resolution in
almost all categories.

Accuracy and resolution are great, but for me in my work these really
come in second to features (the low-Z and low-pass features,
specifically).
If it were not for the lack of a low-Z feature I'd buy the 87 in a
second.
But I need to determine if -- as pertains specifically to VFD voltage
measurement -- the 117 is deficient (ie, does noise really cripple
voltage measurement, and how often is this a problem when working in
VFDs) in this respect.
Thanks.

Owning an 87 is the mark of a True Hardware Guy (tm).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Well I must be half way between a hardware guy and a geek!
I use a 289 when not at the bench most of the time for
remote DMM work. I Also like the logging function in it which
seems to work well. Just wish it had a faster sampling on it.