Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Will sunlight damage the electronics?

Will sunlight damage the electronics of a circuit board?

The power company installed a radio-controlled switch on my air
conditioner, and mounted it on the side of my house. It has an ugly
label which clashes with the natural look of my little yard.

I was peeling it off when I noticed that it covered a fairly darkly
tinted plastic window, and inside the window was the circuit board
that included the receiver and the control that turns the AC off when
the Power Company Central Command wants it to.

There is a much window below the label through which one can see a
green LED. In the late afternoon shaedI only knew I could see the
circuit board because I could see the glowing LED. (Does anyone know
if that means there is power to the AC, or only that there is power to
the controller device itself?)

I stopped unpeeling at that point. I don't want to cause their
product to wear out sooner than normal. I Would the sunlight harm
anything inside?

BTW, after I signed up up for this, a man showed up at my door, handed
me a brochure and then went about mounting the thing to my brick wall.
I watched. He drilled two holes and then two holes for a cable clamp,
all in the mortar, but when it's gone, I'll have to replace the mortar
and the replacement won't match in color. After he was gone I read the
brochure and it said he could mount it to the air-conditioning
condensor if I wanted. I much would have preferred that, so I
wouldn't have to look at the ugly thing at all, label or no label.
But the guy, affable and pleasant as he was, didn't say a thing about
that. The previous device had been mounted to the AC, and didn't have
a label either, but it was a little narrower, and didn't come with
such a long cable.

Thanks.

Sunlight Collection Rod UK diy 2 June 11th 08 11:35 PM
SUNLIGHT ENGRAVER J T Woodworking 0 May 13th 07 08:08 AM
buy electronics, sell electronics , auction electronics new, used electronics marketplace rHnI electronics2 Electronics Repair 1 April 2nd 07 10:31 PM
Can cold weather damage electronics components and circuit boards? wylbur37 Electronics Repair 37 March 8th 07 05:13 PM
how to re-direct sunlight Stuart Noble UK diy 8 January 16th 07 09:32 AM