Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SPDIF to Analog converter.

Jamie wrote:
This isn't a repair question how ever, I need a
SPDIF to analog converter because My LCD TV only has
SPDIF for audio output, my new Home theater only has
LINE inputs (stereo) but does have digital output? (go figure).

I would like one that passes the 5.1 signal, so that my
surround system will process it.

Those I have found, seem to indicate this 5.1 signal is
filtered out?

What? Huh? If you want 5.1 signal then you need a Dolby Digital decoder
built into the receiver itself. They have SPDIF to analog converters but
those faggots will only covert a uncompressed stereo stream into line
level but will probably ingore the dolby digital stream if your lucky.
Since your Home Theater is new, take the dicksucker back and exchange it
for something that has a Dolby Digital input.

Also you didn't specify if the digital output is Optical or Coaxial.
SPDIF is the data flowing through the mother****er, not the connector
itself. SPDIF does not support 5.1 surround sound, it only supports
stereo sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

It was a gift so it's not like an easy return.,,.

It has USB, SD card options, HDMI outputs, Component outputs and LINE
input . Along with a COAX digital programmable output!.

That COAX digital programmable output is probably to hook up the system
to a real surround system to play the USB and SD Card through it.

it just does not have a SPDIF input on it. and the TV does not have
the analog line output..
It does have how ever, a head jack (stereo) output which I am
wondering if that carries the 5.1 signal ?

No, and neither will the SPDIF because SPDIF is stereo only. You're
confusing SPDIF with Dolby Digital. They are not the same thing.

admittedly, it's a cheap system..

1000Watts Colby. But, since it was free, I'd like to
get the TV piped into it.

Then you have nothing to lose by taking the faggot out to the back yard
and beating it to death with a sledgehammer.

You can use the headphone jack but you're only going to get stereo
sound, not surround. It sounds like you would only get stereo out the
digital output because like I said, SPDIF is stereo, not surround sound.

SPDIF is the protocol flowing through the cable, not the connectors on
the cable.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:
This isn't a repair question how ever, I need a
SPDIF to analog converter because My LCD TV only has
SPDIF for audio output, my new Home theater only has
LINE inputs (stereo) but does have digital output? (go figure).

I would like one that passes the 5.1 signal, so that my
surround system will process it.

Your surround system is Pro Logic or something earlier. Replace it.

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Adrian C wrote:

Jamie wrote:

This isn't a repair question how ever, I need a
SPDIF to analog converter because My LCD TV only has
SPDIF for audio output, my new Home theater only has
LINE inputs (stereo) but does have digital output? (go figure).

I would like one that passes the 5.1 signal, so that my
surround system will process it.

Your surround system is Pro Logic or something earlier. Replace it.

Actually, its not that early, I just got it(New)!

It was a gift so it's not like an easy return.,,.

It has USB, SD card options, HDMI outputs, Component outputs and LINE
input . Along with a COAX digital programmable output!.

it just does not have a SPDIF input on it. and the TV does not have
the analog line output..
It does have how ever, a head jack (stereo) output which I am
wondering if that carries the 5.1 signal ?

admittedly, it's a cheap system..

1000Watts Colby. But, since it was free, I'd like to
get the TV piped into it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Dori, your pointless use of nasty/vulgar language
is not appreciated.

Oh, you poor baby!

He or she is doing it for the sake of doing it. And if he/she used the N
word or the K word, he/she would be quickly struck down by the group.

O.K. My Mistake, the O.P. should plug the HDMI output from his TV to the
HDMI output on his HTIB and enjoy all the Dolby Digital UNCOMPRESSED!
Surround Sound there is.

Of course I'm lying. He wants to get the HTIB to do something it wasn't
designed to do. That is, decode a 5.1 Dolby Digital stream via external
source. The HTIB was obviously made for DVD viewing and decoding the
surround sound stream from DVD players.

Even if they made a box which would decode 5.1 channels how would he
feed it to the surround sound system which more than likely doesn't have
the 5 channel and 1 low frequency inputs?

The solution is that he needs to buy an entirely new surround sound system.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dori, your pointless use of nasty/vulgar language is not appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:00:42 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Dori, your pointless use of nasty/vulgar language is not appreciated.

Oh, you poor baby!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Jamie t wrote:
This isn't a repair question how ever, I need a
SPDIF to analog converter because My LCD TV only has
SPDIF for audio output, my new Home theater only has
LINE inputs (stereo) but does have digital output? (go figure).

I would like one that passes the 5.1 signal, so that my
surround system will process it.

Those I have found, seem to indicate this 5.1 signal is
filtered out?

What 5.1 signal comes from a TV? Just curious.

--
*Starfishes have no brains *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:59:51 +0100, Adrian C

I would like one that passes the 5.1 signal, so that my
surround system will process it.

Your surround system is Pro Logic or something earlier. Replace it.

Most any amp/receiver with 7.1 or even 5.1 built within the past 8
years should have a digital input.

Since Jamie has broken the cardinal rule of not supplying model numbers
we haven't a clue what on earth he has.

However, if the surround setup is some sort of cheep and cheery
integrated system that includes a built-in DVD player, then there is a
chance it may not include an input for Dolby Digital/DTS carried over
S/PDIF type connections, to connect his TV.

Should that TV have a standard analog stereo output which will include
the original Dolby Surround information from the transmitted film
soundtracks. Maybe there might be smarts inside the surround system to
process that as Pro Logic. Dunno. No model number.

If the system Pro Logic capable, and line level analog stereo audio is
not available on the TV, I think Jamie should be capable, as someone who
has an FCC radio ticket, of wielding a soldering iron and sorting that
out. Or padding down the headphone output.

Or buying a better (and 5.1/7.1) home theatre system based around a
separate amplifier/receiver, and using the digital connection.

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dori wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

I already have an existing system that uses LINE input from my 61"LCD
into the surround. It properly decodes the 5.1 just fine.. !.

I don't know where you're getting this idea from.

The line inputs of my new home Theater does decode properly when
I use a smaller LCD TV I have that just happens to have analog line out
on it. So I know the system works as it should.

I just need to convert this signal from the coax digital with out
great pain.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Adrian C wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

I tried the head phone output, that does work also how ever, I need to
pass that through a impedance match amp to properly match that.. It just
does not have the volume level needed, but does work. I may resort to
that since that is a simple project I can through together.

I know this system is a cheapy, but it was a gift. And yes, it's an
integrated system..

I could just simply give it away to my kid how ever, he has the same
tv and it wouldn't work either..

This unit is sold as a Colby 1000Watt system. And take my word for it.
the 1000Watt is a full out lie!.

You don't need to be an electrical engineer to quickly discover this
when you examine the AC mains max demand that is labeled on the device!.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 23, 1:28*pm, Jamie
t wrote:
* 1000Watts Colby. But, since it was free, I'd like to
get the TV piped into it.

Coby. 1000w my ass.

http://www.nextdaypc.com/main/produc...inid=ND0130014

Look like that? It is what it is.....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

boardjunkie wrote:

On Sep 23, 1:28 pm, Jamie
t wrote:

1000Watts Colby. But, since it was free, I'd like to
get the TV piped into it.

Coby. 1000w my ass.

http://www.nextdaypc.com/main/produc...inid=ND0130014

Look like that? It is what it is.....

Yes, its close to it. The one I have has all of that plus it
as a USB and SD card reader in the back. Maybe this one also has
it but just doesn't state it.

And of course, the Wattage is a big fat lie!..

They must be using some metric other than what we're
accustom to.
The supplied wire for the speakers at best is, 22 AWG and
may even be 24 AWG.

I once saw a labeling on a package from china, I can't remember
the exact abbreviation used.. but something like PM,.CM ,PCM etc
wattage..
Must be a different scale of watts!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:07:35 -0400, Jamie
t wrote:

boardjunkie wrote:

On Sep 23, 1:28 pm, Jamie
t wrote:

1000Watts Colby. But, since it was free, I'd like to
get the TV piped into it.

Coby. 1000w my ass.

http://www.nextdaypc.com/main/produc...inid=ND0130014

Look like that? It is what it is.....

Yes, its close to it. The one I have has all of that plus it
as a USB and SD card reader in the back. Maybe this one also has
it but just doesn't state it.

And of course, the Wattage is a big fat lie!..

They must be using some metric other than what we're
accustom to.
The supplied wire for the speakers at best is, 22 AWG and
may even be 24 AWG.

I once saw a labeling on a package from china, I can't remember
the exact abbreviation used.. but something like PM,.CM ,PCM etc
wattage..
Must be a different scale of watts!

I'm not trying to defend a piece of junk, but a system *can* be
designed to handle that peak power without drawing that same amount of
power from the mains. Back in the days of just regular stereo, I was
always amazed that I could play my system at an almost painful level
and with the average power to the speakers remaining below 5 watts. Of
course, the peaks were many many times higher. A good system would
put out 5 watts with 200 watt peaks. A cheap system would put out 5
watts with 10 watt peaks. The difference in sound quality was very
obvious.
Anyway, my only point is the peak power output of any system can be a
lot more than multiplying the mains volatage by the mains current.
Large power supply capacitors provide the energy for the short peaks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:39:25 -0400, greenpjs wrote:

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:07:35 -0400, Jamie
t wrote:

boardjunkie wrote:

On Sep 23, 1:28 pm, Jamie
t wrote:

[...]

The actual output wattage vs the computed instentanious peak wattage is
the key to wattage measurements. Every manufacturer uses their own
formulas but most actually include the wasted current used by the output
stages as actual effective wattage.

I had a Fisher unit that was rated at only 8 watts from 8 to 20,000
cycles and it was far superior to the then current 2-300 watt peak
stereos because the rating on the Fisher was 8 watts continuous across an
8 ohm speaker for an actual output current of 1 amp across the speaker.
This was actually higher than the rated peak output on others.

As far as I know Fisher was the only maker that ever used actual power
output in their ratings.

They generated a very stiff power supply by using 65,000 MF filter caps on
the positive and negative supplies with a very heavy power transformer.
The total voltage across the output IC pacs was around 120V total and the
power supply was fused at 5 amps max.

So yes it is possible to build a quality system but cheap usually wins out
over quality.

Gnack
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jamie" t wrote in message
Adrian C wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

These unrealistic sounding figures are not always an out and out lie - as
such. More the way that they are marketed to the public. For a start, they
always use some proprietry "backpedalling peak music with a good following
wind into 1 ohm" type power measurement, which results in a figure of 180
watts for a channel based on a car radio output IC, that can actually do
about 5 watts RMS on a good day, if you're lucky. Then, they add all the
channels together. So if you have an eight channel amplifier, it becomes
very easy to reach figures like "1000 watts" ...

I recall back in the day, Sir Clive Sinclair bringing out a small IC based
power amp, before the public really understood what a chip was. The power
output for this thing was claimed at some ridiculous figure like 30 watts.
The story goes that this figure had been achieved for 1 second with the
thing cooled in liquid nitrogen, or some such nonsense :-)

Probably the stuff of urban myth, but the actual amp was, I suspect, capable
of no more realistically, than 2 watts RMS.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
For a start, they always use some proprietry "backpedalling peak music
with a good following wind into 1 ohm" type power measurement, which
results in a figure of 180 watts for a channel based on a car radio
output IC, that can actually do about 5 watts RMS on a good day, if
you're lucky.

5 watts is about the figure for a basic amp running on 14 volts into 4
ohms - but most use something rather more sophisticated these days.
There's actually a DIN standard for measuring car radio outputs.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

This unit is sold as a Colby 1000 watt system...

Must be a pretty cheesy product...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Meat Plow wrote:
I don't recall ever seeing a home surround system that didn't have
some kind of digital input.

Depends on what you mean by surround. Plenty of Dolby Pro Logic stuff
didn't have digital inputs.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Dori, your pointless use of nasty/vulgar language
is not appreciated.

Oh, you poor baby!

He or she is doing it for the sake of doing it. And if he/she used the N
word or the K word, he/she would be quickly struck down by the group.

How would the group react upon learning that Dori is a child beater?