Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Atari game console video problems

Hello,
I have two old Atari XEGS game consoles (both showing the same
problems). When I plug the consoles in and turn it on the image on the
TV is vertically scrolling.
After leaving the consoles on for about 10 minutes to half an hour the
image on the screen stabalises. There is still some vertical scrolling
bars (They are about a third of the screen). These bars don't hide the
picture, they just lighten whatever is behind it.

I have plugged in one atari and let it warmed up then changed the
cables over to the other atari and the image is stable there too which
I think means it is the power supply.
I have tried getting out my multimeter and opened up the Atari and
checked the voltage and amps from the plug when the image is scrolling
and later when the image is stable but I'm getting the same readings.

I hope someone here can help me.
Thanks,
Jim Tink
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim wrote:
[...]

Check the larger capacitors and replace those that fail an ESR test.

--
1PW
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim wrote in message
[...]

What happened when you tried them on another TV? Perhaps you need to find a
TV from that era or modify the syncs to the modulator, one transistor mixer
/ oscillator IIRC.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 23, 5:47*pm, "N_Cook" wrote:
Jim wrote in message

[...]

electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

I have tried other TVs and I am sure that it is not the TV. Right now
I have the two ataris set up on a tv each.
After a while the image stops scrolling and is fine (except for the
bars), so it is either the Atari or the power supply.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim wrote:
On Sep 23, 5:47 pm, "N_Cook" wrote:
Jim wrote in message

[...]

What is the exact output rating on the power supply. Please quote
accurately.

--
1PW

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 23, 8:14*pm, 1PW wrote:
What is the exact output rating on the power supply. *Please quote
accurately.

--
1PW

The power supply:
Input: 240V 50Hz
Output: 5V, 1.5A, 7.5VA
PIN 4, 1, 6: +5V
PIN 5, 3, 7: Gnd

(The plug is a 7 pin din)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim wrote:
On Sep 23, 8:14 pm, 1PW wrote:
What is the exact output rating on the power supply. Please quote
accurately.

--
1PW

The power supply:
Input: 240V 50Hz
Output: 5V, 1.5A, 7.5VA
PIN 4, 1, 6: +5V
PIN 5, 3, 7: Gnd

(The plug is a 7 pin din)

Excellent Jim. Large value electrolytic filter capacitors are
probably inside your power supply. Their aging may have brought about
an A.C. ripple component in the otherwise +5VDC output.

If you have any large electrolytic capacitors around the home that
could be connected temporarily across pins 4&5 or 1&3 or 6&7, (observe
the correct polarity) in the appropriate manner, you might be able to
isolate the trouble to the power supply. The caps should have a
working voltage of 5 volts or higher and be as large as you can find
for now.

Even putting a multimeter across those same DIN pairs of pins while
the meter is set to measure A.C. would let you know if you have too
much unfiltered A.C. ripple on the D.C. output.

Being able to open up the power supplies might be difficult if they
have been glued shut as some were back then. Your observations that
things seem to improve as you allow time to elapse while looking at
the video tells me that the capacitors are try to "reform" but their
age has allowed them to leak too much.

HTH

--
1PW
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 23, 9:22*pm, 1PW wrote:
Jim wrote:
On Sep 23, 8:14 pm, 1PW wrote:
[...]

Thanks for helping 1PW, I don't have any capacitors about. I have
never done a repair before without simply replacing the part.
I have a power pack which is a 4 pin din with 1 pin 5v, 1pin 12v and 2
pins Ground at 2A. I was going to get the plugs to make an adapter
from town today and test to see if that fixes the problems. Would this
adapter be a suitable replacement? (Obviously only using the 5V pin).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim wrote:
On Sep 23, 9:22 pm, 1PW wrote:
Jim wrote:
On Sep 23, 8:14 pm, 1PW wrote:
[...]

Hello Jim:

Yes. If 5VDC can be supplied at 1.5 Amps or greater, it seems like it
will do. Make sure you are providing the appropriate connections to
all of the six DIN pins. Check all your wiring changes /several/
times before you "smoke test" your repair.

Good luck,

--
1PW
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 24, 11:53*am, 1PW wrote:
Jim wrote:
On Sep 23, 9:22 pm, 1PW wrote:
Jim wrote:
On Sep 23, 8:14 pm, 1PW wrote:
[...]

Hi 1PW,
The new power supply works a treat.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jim wrote:
On Sep 24, 11:53 am, 1PW wrote:
Jim wrote:
On Sep 23, 9:22 pm, 1PW wrote:
Jim wrote:
On Sep 23, 8:14 pm, 1PW wrote:
[...]

Congratulations Jim! If the original power pack can be opened without
significant damage, the electrolytic capacitors within are likely in
need of replacement.

--
1PW