Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fixing a Blown-Out Sony TV

Hi,

A 19" Sony from 1990 recently blew out. For the past year or so it has been
flickering a bit, usually clearing up when warmed (I also had a little success
by fiddling with the power cord, ie getting a better connection by readjusting
the connector).

The other day while it was on, it began to smell like something was burning, and
then the TV went off (I think there was a noise too). I cracked 'er open and
took a look. I found that one of the three cement, fusible power resistors had
literally blown. The ceramic housing was split down the middle of the length and
the wire-wound resistor was cracked in half. (Oh, and both of the fuses that I
could find were fine.)

As luck would have it, I happened to have an identical resistor that I salvaged
from the circuit board of another TV from a few years ago. Like the dead one, it
too was a 20W, 150 Ohm cement, so I replaced the dead resistor and hoped for the
best.

Unfortunately it was only slightly better. Before, the relay would click, but
nothing else would happen (no LED even). Now, when I plug it in and turn it on,
the relay clicks, and there is a brief startup hum (but nothing else), and then
it goes back to click-then-nothing at all (other than the new power resistor
heating up). If I wait a while each time before turning it on, then it will do
the brief hum after the relay click.

There is a 560uF, 200V capacitor nearby whose top is fairly bulged.
Unfortunately my DMM doesn't have a capacitance testing function, but I figure
my next move is to replace the cap.

Any ideas? Thanks.

--
Alec S.