Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Alec S.[_2_] Alec S.[_2_] is offline

Default Fixing a Blown-Out Sony TV

Jumpster Jiver wrote (in ):

Oh, I am careful. I am quite aware of the remaining charge in a
display as well as how to discharge it (“shoving a grounded
screwdriver up under the anode cap” lol) should the need arise (which
it has not).

Please don't be insulted, but anyone who describes a safety procedure as
"shoving a grounded screwdriver..." and adds "LOL"…

That’s why it’s in quotes.

Chances are the TV originally just had a bad solder joint. Moving the power
cord flexed the circuit board and opened and closed the bad contact making
the TV work intermittently.

Actually, I meant that reseating the cord at the plug end was more of a way of
scraping of any patina that may have been on the prongs, thus impeding the flow
and so making a better contact with the outlet.

Now one or more components has opened or
shorted and you must hunt it down. You are not likely to SEE the bad
component. You must know which part of the circuit to test, and find and
replace the defective components to make the TV work!

Well if the flyback is the problem, then I won’t be bothering with it; I’ve got
too much else to do anyway. If it’s the HOT, then I may keep it around to look
at again some time in the future. If it’s something simpler like a cold joint or
blown cap or resistor or invisible fuse or something, then I would like to fix
it.

--
Alec S.
news/alec-synetech/cjb/net