Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Max Max is offline

Default panasonic plasma tv problem

Hi I have Panasonic plasma tv model TH42PM50U.it's turn on working like
a 2 minutes then shuts off with 4 times blinks.I checked its says SOS
Power P.I think P means power supply board.Am I right?I checked all caps
by ESR meter and they all looks fine.Check the board for broken solder
connections.What else do I need to check?Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 12, 2:57*am, max wrote:
Hi I have Panasonic plasma tv model TH42PM50U.it's turn on working like
a 2 minutes then shuts off with 4 times blinks.I checked its says SOS
Power P.I think P means power supply board.Am I right?I checked all caps
by ESR meter and they all looks fine.Check the board for broken solder
connections.What else do I need to check?Thanks

It is very possible that there are other components on one of the
other boards that are causing the power supply to go to protect mode
or to shut down depending on the exact circumsances. The problem may
not necessarily be a capacitor. I have seen semi conductor's and
others become thermo sensitive. I must agree that caps are usually
the leading failure in most cases.

Because you are indicating a time line to when the failure takes
place, I would be looking more for a thermo fault rather than a
streight out failure. If the set works properly when you first turn it
on, then using an ESR meter on caps while they are cooled down from
not having operation, their ESR would most likely measure to be in
specs while not operating. Try heating each of the caps with a heat
gun while under test with the ESR meter.

Normally these sets are serviced by board swapping just like when
servicing a computer. Troubleshooting the boards in these TV sets
could be very complicated, very time consuming, and very costly. In
your case, maybe you will be lucky and find a few bad caps and things
will work out okay for you.

Jerry G.