Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Panasonic plasma tv heat noises & their repair

I've had a Panasonic TH-58PX600U plasma TV for about 1 year. I like the set
a lot, except for the random popping noises it produces every few minutes
from various locations around the cabinet. I had assumed these sounds were
the result of heat expansion/contraction, something which was born out in
some searching on the problem, which others have had as well. Apparently
some owners who have complained to Panasonic have been told the noise is
produced by a relay; I'm very familiar with electronic equipment, this is
not a relay. It's also not an audio problem, speaker vibration, etc., since
the noise is present when I am using the set as a computer monitor.

I've read that Panasonic has a kit for this problem, number TMK2AA01098S,
which consists of felt strips which are applied in various places around the
cabinet/under the cover to eliminate the noise. My usual source for such
parts, MCM electronics, does not list this item, nor can I locate one
online. Can anyone tell me where I might obtain this kit, or give me any
additional information on the situation? I understand Panasonic has a
service bulletin out on the issue, can anyone tell me where I might get a
copy?

Thanks

Dan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

the parts are just little felt strips. The problem is the case is
plastic and the plasma panel frame is aluminum. Plastic expands much
more than aluminum with heat. The solution is to loosen the panel
mounting screws and insert little felt strips where the panel contacts
the plastic. The plastic will still expand but instead of popping, it
will silently slide. I'd bug the local Panasonic dealer or repair
center until they act.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"Ancient_Hacker" wrote in message
the parts are just little felt strips. The problem is the case is
plastic and the plasma panel frame is aluminum. Plastic expands much
more than aluminum with heat. The solution is to loosen the panel
mounting screws and insert little felt strips where the panel contacts
the plastic. The plastic will still expand but instead of popping, it
will silently slide. I'd bug the local Panasonic dealer or repair
center until they act.

Thanks for the reply. According to Panasonic, the part, now number
TXANV01TSER, is available for $0.95 & shipping. Sounds pretty
straightforward, I would prefer to do the modification myself it at all
possible. Do you happen to know if the kit comes with any installation
details, or where I might find this info?

This TV originally sold for more than 4 grand. I got it when 720's (like
this model) where beginning to be replaced by 1080's, so I didn't pay nearly
that much. Cynical as I am about such things at this point, I still find it
amazing that a product in this price range could make it to production with
such an obvious & easily/CHEAPLY remedied defect. Astounding.

Thanks again.

Dan