Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Counterfeit parts...

I recommend that you take a magnifying glass with you when buying
components these days. I've bought a couple of fake ICs and HOT
transistors lately and fortunately they are fairly easy to spot (so far)
as the print and quality of the part looks inferior to regular
production parts.

It looks like it is up to us to keep an eye out for these parts by
comparing the new part against original manufacturers parts to see if
the structure and lettering look proper.

No names are needed as this can happen to any small supplier, they can't
do a test on every part they buy...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article hRp4m.35051$PH1.15037@edtnps82,
John Robertson wrote:
I recommend that you take a magnifying glass with you when buying
components these days. I've bought a couple of fake ICs and HOT
transistors lately and fortunately they are fairly easy to spot (so far)
as the print and quality of the part looks inferior to regular
production parts.

From a reputable supplier?

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Buying parts on-line?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote:
I recommend that you take a magnifying glass with you when buying
components these days. I've bought a couple of fake ICs and HOT
transistors lately and fortunately they are fairly easy to spot (so far)
as the print and quality of the part looks inferior to regular
production parts.

It looks like it is up to us to keep an eye out for these parts by
comparing the new part against original manufacturers parts to see if
the structure and lettering look proper.

No names are needed as this can happen to any small supplier, they can't
do a test on every part they buy...

John :-#)#

Hello all,

I've definitely gotten fake transistors from reputable suppliers.
Usually on out of date or obsolete parts which they probably buy from
jobbers on the surplus market.

To make sure I get real output devices, I only buy from company's that
source from the manufacturer. So, I now order my Toshiba output
transistors from Digikey, as they are an official distributor.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim Schwartz wrote:
John Robertson wrote:
[...]

Yes, this supplier is also a reputable local company. They've made good
on the parts as well. However, like Tim, I am buying more parts from
Digi-Key as a result...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com