Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Scott 558T AM/FM tuner - no longer remembers station presets

Before AT&T shuts off my Usenet access, I'll get in my
one last question and hopefully someone can help.

Scott 558T digital AM/FM tuner, bought in October of 1983
but probably built a year or two before. It doesn't remember
station presets anymore when switched off. I looked inside
briefly for a coin cell battery or large capacitor but
nothing caught my attention. How did digital electronics of
this age remember things when switched off?

Thanks all.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"cropduster" wrote in message
Before AT&T shuts off my Usenet access, I'll get in my
one last question and hopefully someone can help.

Scott 558T digital AM/FM tuner, bought in October of 1983
but probably built a year or two before. It doesn't remember
station presets anymore when switched off. I looked inside
briefly for a coin cell battery or large capacitor but
nothing caught my attention. How did digital electronics of
this age remember things when switched off?

Thanks all.

Usually a backup capacitor. Probably physically near the control
microprocessor. Maybe on the front panel under a display tube for example.
I'm losing usenet through ATT as well, but I have another binary server I
can use. Hopefully they do a little better job of filtering the spam.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

cropduster wrote:

Scott 558T digital AM/FM tuner, bought in October of 1983
but probably built a year or two before. It doesn't remember
station presets anymore when switched off. I looked inside
briefly for a coin cell battery or large capacitor but
nothing caught my attention. How did digital electronics of
this age remember things when switched off?

I don't know anything about that Scott tuner but a lot of stuff designed
in the early 80's used these serial eeproms like an 93c46.

It's a 8 pin dip (usually) and was fairly simple to use and incorporate into
a design. Most were only a half k or 1K in size but was more than enough
to hold a table of stations or other settings.

They were used in many products including alarm panels, car radios and
various other consumer electronics that were "cutting edge".

They did not last forever. There was a lifespan to them, read cycles were
in the 100's of thousands but write cycles were in the low thousands.

There might of been a general lifespan in years too.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have a Lux 5T50 from 1977. It used a small nicad battery recharged when
the unit was turned on. The memory lasted a few days. I later installed a 5V
power supply that was on as long as the unit was plugged in. That was later
replaced with a supercap.

You might look for a small nicad battery. There has to be /something/, but
you'll probably have to look closely and patiently.

Who remembers this Blue Angels video? Dave Bugg Woodworking 4 November 5th 06 09:16 PM
Who Remembers Lew Hodgett Woodworking 1 September 29th 06 03:09 AM
Sony receiver no longer remembers last audio source Mike Foss Electronics Repair 4 October 10th 05 06:31 AM
Recommendations for soldering station and Desoldering station or rework station. Z Electronics Repair 0 May 9th 04 04:15 AM