Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SS Laser

Fooling with a laser. I need to hook up some fancy controllers.
Looks like a thermistor in there with currently broken leads.
I wanted to see how much heat a 400-500 mw would generate, and
I guess its about that. I found the peltier element cooling backwards, but
then I thought its probably trying to heat up the laser which I had disconnected.
I should try it with the thermistor hooked up. Got some Newport equipment
to hook, and aparently there is no other feedback photodiode. That was
my main concern at this point.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

(GregS) writes:

In article ,
(Samuel M. Goldwasser) wrote:
(GregS) writes:

In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,

(GregS) wrote:
In article ,
(Samuel M.
Goldwasser) wrote:
(GregS) writes:

Inembly
apart to see the parts. I don't know if it glued or screwed. The lens
is screwed and glued, but I don't want to fool with the focus
right now. I don't know if I can measure the laser current, but
I think I will try, and get all the current parameters before hooking
up the other controllers.

The opperating temperature of the current laser is above room
temperature.

Current conditions.

29 deg C
2 A
1.78 v
1.49 v idle

Its working with the new controllers. I didn't need to know much
other than what the previous settings were. If I were selecting
a new diode, then I should know a lot more.

You can safely adjust the temperature to see if that gets more
output power but you should NOT increase the diode current beyond
what it is now.

According to the researcher, they need more power for the confocal device.

Doesn't matter. Unless you know for sure that the pump diode can
take higher current, you may end up with an output of exactly 0.0 mW.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/