Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Modifying a Dell Optiplex AC/DC Power Adapter for Ham Radio

I have a mobile ham radio that I would like to use as a fixed station
in my home. As this is a non-standard use of the radio, I have found
a possible solution in the way of an external Dell Optiplex AC/DC
Power Supply that should provide the necessary voltage (12v) and
amperage (12a) to power it. I've collected the necessary parts to
create an adapter between the standard Molex style 8-pin female end of
the Optiplex Power Supply and the 2-pin female end of the ham radio.

I've learned that in order to power the Optiplex Power Supply, the #5
pin must be grounded to one of the #6, #7, or #8 pins and the positive
voltage is delivered by the #2, #3, and #4 pins.

http://www.powerstream.com/ac-12180.htm

My question is... In the adapter that I am creating, is it necessary
to use all three of the positive voltage pins (i.e., #2, #3, #4) from
the Optiplex Power Supply and all three of the negative grounding pins
(i.e., #6, #7, #8) to supply voltage to the single positive voltage
pin and the single negative grounding pin of the ham radio? Or should
it only be necessary to use one positive voltage and one negative
grounding pin to connect to the 2-pin ham radio?

Also, If I connect the #5 remote pin to one of the #6, #7, or #8
grounding pins can I also use that same grounding pin to connect to
the negative grounding pin on the ham radio?

Thank you for your assistance.

Respectfully,

Gary