Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Modifying a Dell Optiplex AC/DC Power Adapter for Ham Radio

In article ,
Baron wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
I have a mobile ham radio that I would like to use as a fixed station
in my home. As this is a non-standard use of the radio, I have found
a possible solution in the way of an external Dell Optiplex AC/DC
Power Supply that should provide the necessary voltage (12v) and
amperage (12a) to power it.

My question is... In the adapter that I am creating, is it necessary
to use all three of the positive voltage pins (i.e., #2, #3, #4) from
the Optiplex Power Supply and all three of the negative grounding pins
(i.e., #6, #7, #8) to supply voltage to the single positive voltage
pin and the single negative grounding pin of the ham radio? Or should
it only be necessary to use one positive voltage and one negative
grounding pin to connect to the 2-pin ham radio?

Most commercial power supplies designed for this sort of thing produce
13.8 volts. This is approx the voltage with the engine running in a
car with 12 volt electrics. 12 volts equates to a nearly flat
battery - and your rig may not perform correctly with this.

Whilst Dave is correct it did not answer your question !

The reason being there's not much point in using an available power supply
if it doesn't do the job properly. Of course it may be ok - but then you
don't know this anymore than I do.

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.