Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_2_] Baron[_2_] is offline

Default Modifying a Dell Optiplex AC/DC Power Adapter for Ham Radio

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Baron wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
I have a mobile ham radio that I would like to use as a fixed
station in my home. As this is a non-standard use of the radio, I
have found a possible solution in the way of an external Dell
Optiplex AC/DC Power Supply that should provide the necessary
voltage (12v) and amperage (12a) to power it.

My question is... In the adapter that I am creating, is it necessary
to use all three of the positive voltage pins (i.e., #2, #3, #4) from
the Optiplex Power Supply and all three of the negative grounding
pins (i.e., #6, #7, #8) to supply voltage to the single positive
voltage pin and the single negative grounding pin of the ham radio?
Or should it only be necessary to use one positive voltage and one
negative grounding pin to connect to the 2-pin ham radio?

Most commercial power supplies designed for this sort of thing
produce 13.8 volts. This is approx the voltage with the engine
running in a car with 12 volt electrics. 12 volts equates to a
nearly flat battery - and your rig may not perform correctly with
this.

Whilst Dave is correct it did not answer your question !

The reason being there's not much point in using an available power
supply if it doesn't do the job properly. Of course it may be ok - but
then you don't know this anymore than I do.

I never intimated that I did ! I answered the question the OP asked,
without making any assumptions.

Gary should be applauded for his Ham sprit by utilising equipment that
may otherwise be laid idle. As far as doing the job properly is
concerned, surely that decision is up to Gary.

73's

--
Best Regards:
Baron.