Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Adapting a potentiometer shaft

I want to change the pot on my amplifier with one from Alps. The
problems is the only Alps pot that matches the dimensions and
resistance has a slotted shaft and my amp has a pot with a flattened
shaft. Is there a way to adapt a slotted shaft so the knob for the
flattened shaft can fit without a problem?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Vasil wrote:

I want to change the pot on my amplifier with one from Alps.

Why ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 20, 7:00*pm, Eeyore
wrote:
Vasil wrote:
I want to change the pot on my amplifier with one from Alps.

Why ?

Graham

You can drill out the center of the knob to mak it round, then build
up the slotted shaft with epoxy until the knob fits properly.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Vasil wrote:

I want to change the pot on my amplifier with one from Alps.

Why ?

**If the pot on the OP's amplifier is a standard carbon type, the Alps 'Blue
Velvet' is likely to make a small, but significant, improvement. The lower
noise and laser trimmed matching improves on cheap pots significantly.

Can you email me please?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2009 15:14:30 -0700 (PDT), Vasil
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I want to change the pot on my amplifier with one from Alps. The
problems is the only Alps pot that matches the dimensions and
resistance has a slotted shaft and my amp has a pot with a flattened
shaft. Is there a way to adapt a slotted shaft so the knob for the
flattened shaft can fit without a problem?

Drill the original knob and insert a plastic bush salvaged from
another suitable knob ???

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
Vasil wrote:

I want to change the pot on my amplifier with one from Alps. The
problems is the only Alps pot that matches the dimensions and
resistance has a slotted shaft and my amp has a pot with a flattened
shaft. Is there a way to adapt a slotted shaft so the knob for the
flattened shaft can fit without a problem?

If the shafts in question are the same diameter, you can easily mill,
grind, or file a flat onto the slotted shaft.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On May 20, 3:14*pm, Vasil wrote:
I want to change the pot on my amplifier with one from Alps. The
problems is the only Alps pot that matches the dimensions and
resistance has a slotted shaft and my amp has a pot with a flattened
shaft. Is there a way to adapt a slotted shaft so the knob for the
flattened shaft can fit without a problem?

Assuming the diameter is OK, put a shim into the slot, then (with
the shaft in a vise) file the flat (so it makes a T with the slot).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Trevor Wilson wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
Vasil wrote:

I want to change the pot on my amplifier with one from Alps.

Why ?

**If the pot on the OP's amplifier is a standard carbon type, the Alps 'Blue
Velvet' is likely to make a small, but significant, improvement. The lower
noise and laser trimmed matching improves on cheap pots significantly.

Depends which Alps model you choose. Just saying "Alps" is no guarantee of a
superlative part. Some of them are IMHO WORSE than Taiwan Alpha who 'second
source' most of the popular Alps parts at a lower price. We had negligible
problems EVER with Taiwan Alpha.

Now, if you want laser trimmed conductive plastic, that's another matter.

Can you email me please?

Willco.

Graham