Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Default Correct term & pinout of this dual pot with inline pins?

I wanted to look up the pinout for the five in-line pins of this
pot. http://bayimg.com/pApfNaAbD.jpg

I couldn't get the right search term because I don't really know
the standard way it is usually described.

It's a dual track ("twin track"? "double track"?) pot with 5 pins.

QUESTION 1
What's the usual way to describe this and, if possible, also refer
to the fact it designed to use a thumbwheel?

QUESTION 2
Is there a standard convention for the pinout of this sort of pot?
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Don wrote:
I wanted to look up the pinout for the five in-line pins of this
pot. http://bayimg.com/pApfNaAbD.jpg

I couldn't get the right search term because I don't really know
the standard way it is usually described.

It so happens I'm on the search for one of these as well (to repair an
old Sony personal stereo cassette player).

Google RK14J12R0A01 - ALPS make them.

Incidently, pretty well unobtainable here unless buying quantity. Hope
you have better luck.

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

"Don" wrote in message
I wanted to look up the pinout for the five in-line pins of this
pot. http://bayimg.com/pApfNaAbD.jpg

I couldn't get the right search term because I don't really know
the standard way it is usually described.

It's a dual track ("twin track"? "double track"?) pot with 5 pins.

QUESTION 1
What's the usual way to describe this and, if possible, also refer
to the fact it designed to use a thumbwheel?

QUESTION 2
Is there a standard convention for the pinout of this sort of pot?

They often used to be known as "edgewise" pots. I would think that the
chances of finding one as a generic spare, are slim to zero, though ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

On Apr 22, 6:48*pm, Don wrote:

I couldn't get the right search term because I don't really know
the standard way it is usually described.

It doesn't matter... the easiest way of getting one will be to
scavenge an old Walkman.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Don wrote:

I wanted to look up the pinout for the five in-line pins of this
pot. http://bayimg.com/pApfNaAbD.jpg

I couldn't get the right search term because I don't really know
the standard way it is usually described.

It's a dual track ("twin track"? "double track"?) pot with 5 pins.

QUESTION 1
What's the usual way to describe this and, if possible, also refer
to the fact it designed to use a thumbwheel?

Thumbwheel volume pot.

QUESTION 2
Is there a standard convention for the pinout of this sort of pot?

Probably not unless it's an Alpha Taiwan copy of an ALPS model ( at a
rough guess). Equipment incorporating such cheap parts isn't intended to
be repaired quite frankly. It's not the 'modern way'.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:04:00 +0100, Adrian C put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Don wrote:
I wanted to look up the pinout for the five in-line pins of this
pot. http://bayimg.com/pApfNaAbD.jpg

I couldn't get the right search term because I don't really know
the standard way it is usually described.

It so happens I'm on the search for one of these as well (to repair an
old Sony personal stereo cassette player).

Google RK14J12R0A01 - ALPS make them.

Knob Operating Type Potentiometers - RK10J/RK14J Series:
http://www3.alps.com/WebObjects/cata...RKJ1_list.html

The following two pots have 5 inline pins but different pinouts:
http://www3.alps.com/WebObjects/cata...0J12E0A0A.html
http://www3.alps.com/WebObjects/cata...4J12R0A01.html

One is 10mm in diameter (RK10J), the other 14mm (RK14J).

Incidently, pretty well unobtainable here unless buying quantity. Hope
you have better luck.

- Franc Zabkar