Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default capacitor testing

Is there an easy way of testing the capacitors on a motherboard (without
elaborate equipment)? These are electrolytic caps on a computer mother
board(MS 6380E). thanks for your help.
regards
hg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"h.godavari" wrote in message
Is there an easy way of testing the capacitors on a motherboard (without
elaborate equipment)? These are electrolytic caps on a computer mother
board(MS 6380E). thanks for your help.
regards
hg

Aside from the rated capacitance value, the ESR (Equivalent Series
Resistance) is probably the single most important characteristic of a
capacitor used in a switch mode power supply/regulator.
I heartily recommend that you invest in an ESR meter. There are a number of
different models and types available. Bob Parker designed and sold a
well-known and widely used kit a number of years ago, one of which I have
been using for several years with great results.
Here are a few links to get you started:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm
http://mainelectronics.com/esrkit.htm
http://www.flippers.com/esrktmtr.html
http://www.howardelectronics.com/ieinc/cwinfo.html

Different people aspire to different models, depending on personal
preference, but in the end, they all do the job quite well if used properly.
While there is no absolute value for the ESR of a particular type and value
of capacitor, some manufacturers do publish the maximum ESR values of
certain lines of their capacitors. You'll have to surf the mfr's sites to
find those.

Good luck!
--
"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Dave M
masondg44 at comcast dot net

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

And don't forget this excellent ESR meter:

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Whoops hit the wrong button. Here is what I wanted to post:

http://www.eds-inc.com/cap.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Is there an easy way of testing the capacitors on a motherboard (without
elaborate equipment)? These are electrolytic caps on a computer mother
board(MS 6380E). thanks for your help.

Yes. The commonest failure mode of such capacitors is an increase in
the equivalent series resistance (ESR). It's possible to test this
in-circuit, with relatively simple equipment.

One possibility is shown at

http://ludens.cl/Electron/esr/esr.html

which is something you can breadboard together pretty easily... I've
built one and just have to stick it in the final case (maybe next week).

An even simpler approach is to use a function generator (you need a
sine or square wave at a few tens of kHz and at somewhere around a
tenth of a volt), a couple of resistors, and an oscilloscope.

See the page at

http://octopus.freeyellow.com/esr.html

for a simple schematic, and links to a bunch of other projects.

You can buy commercial capacitor ESR testers (complete or as kits).
I've heard tgood things about the AnaTek Blue meter (around $80 - see
http://www.anatekcorp.com/blueesr.htm).

The neat thing about all of these testers, is that you can use them
in-circuit - there's no need to unsolder the capacitors prior to
testing. Just make sure you've powered down the board and allowed all
of the caps to self-discharge safely.

Oh... if any of the caps are bulging at the top, or have started to
split at the pressure-relief seam and/or to leak fluid... you can
assume that they're bad.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:49:58 -0500, "h.godavari"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Is there an easy way of testing the capacitors on a motherboard (without
elaborate equipment)? These are electrolytic caps on a computer mother
board(MS 6380E). thanks for your help.
regards
hg

The difficulty with testing capacitors on a motherboard is that there
are several connected in parallel. This means that an ESR test may not
find a bad cap because a good one may mask it. Furthermore, even if
all 5 caps, say, in a parallel Vcore set are bad, you will still need
to multiply the meter's ESR reading by 5 to get the individual ESR
value.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ken Layton wrote:
Whoops hit the wrong button. Here is what I wanted to post:

http://www.eds-inc.com/cap.html

It looks good Ken but a bit rich for my pocket :-(

regards
hg

Capacitor Testing. Michael Kennedy[_3_] Electronics Repair 5 February 25th 09 03:59 PM
capacitor swapu Home Repair 7 December 25th 08 05:53 PM
Capacitor Start, Capacitor Run Motor Robowang Electronics Repair 13 October 18th 06 08:11 PM
Capacitor Value bill Electronics Repair 4 June 2nd 06 01:54 AM
Laws requiring portable appliance testing and electrical installation testing if any? Z UK diy 9 June 14th 04 11:00 AM